[comp.windows.x] X Conference Notes

raveling@VAXA.ISI.EDU (Paul Raveling) (01/23/88)

	Should any (presumably) non-attendees be interested, I've
	prepared some conference notes with more detail than what's
	appeared so far.  The file's about 40K bytes, ~30 pages
	when printed.  This is still brief enough to serve mainly
	as a commented index to the videotape.

	If there's enough interest I'll put it someplace accessible
	to anonymous ftp.  (Would XUG have a home for this sort of thing?)

---------------------
Paul Raveling
Raveling@vaxa.isi.edu

raveling@VAXA.ISI.EDU (Paul Raveling) (01/23/88)

	It appears there's enough interest, so the X conference
	notes I mentioned this morning are available now via
	anonymous ftp.  Their location is:

		host:	vaxa.isi.edu
		path:	pub/X/xconference.notes

	For those without ftp access, I MIGHT be able to mail
	it as a message.  However, something in the path of
	my outgoing mail loves to rewrite non-ARPANET addresses
	into an undeliverable form, so there are no guarantees.

---------------------
Paul Raveling
Raveling@vaxa.isi.edu

rost@granite.dec.com (Randi Rost) (01/27/88)

To anyone who read Paul Raveling's trip report:

I just wanted to clear up a couple of misimpressions about the PEX (3D)
extension for X.  The first potentially misleading statement in the
report is:

    "A PHIGS window is EXCLUSIVELY PHIGS; external X access is not
    practical."

If I'm reading this correctly, the statement is untrue.  If other people
got the same impression from the presentation, we hosed it badly (please
tell us what we said to give you this impression).  In X, a window is just
a "bucket of bits" that can be scribbled on.  PEX does not change this
definition at all, but introduces a resource called a "renderer" that is
capable of doing PHIGS-style scribbling into an X window.  Therefore, it
is still entirely possible to draw PEX output primitives and X output
primitives into the same window.

Secondly, the statement

    "The X extension [PEX] should support 3D, but the speaker anticipates
    most use will be (efficient) 2D."

can also be misleading.  During the presentation, Marty stated his opinion
that PEX would be used more for 2D applications (same coordinate systems
but the default z-value is always assumed) than for 3D applications.
I, for one, am not convinced that this will be true, but it is beside the
point.  THE DESIGN FOCUS FOR PEX WAS TO PROVIDE EFFICIENT SUPPORT FOR *3D*,
PHIGS/PHIGS+ STYLE RENDERING.  Support for 2D falls out as a special case
of 3D (z is constant).  Whether there will eventually be more 2D applications
layered on top of PEX than 3D applications is a moot point.  PEX was designed
for efficient 3D support.

						Randi Rost
						Digital Equipment Corp.
						PEX Architecture Team

turner@daisy.UUCP (Jim Turner) (01/28/88)

To those of use poor fools without arpanet access, you can get a copy of
the conference notes by sending email to:

...ucbvax!sgi!daisy!XArchive-request

please specify what you want (the conference notes)

--
Laissez les bons temps rouler                     -  Queen Ida
...{decwrl|ucbvax}!imagen!atari!daisy!turner (James M. Turner)

raveling@vaxa.isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (01/30/88)

In article <181@granite.dec.com> rost@granite.dec.com (Randi Rost) writes:

>To anyone who read Paul Raveling's trip report:
>
>I just wanted to clear up a couple of misimpressions about the PEX (3D)
>extension for X.  The first potentially misleading statement in the
>report is:
>
>    "A PHIGS window is EXCLUSIVELY PHIGS; external X access is not
>    practical."
>
>If I'm reading this correctly, the statement is untrue.  ...

	If this is substantially misleading, I apologize for the
	mis-statement.  Both the talks and the notes necessarily
	condensed lots of material into perhaps excessively brief
	remarks.

	Also, I was doing a little "reading between the lines" by
	relating the PEX architecture to issues (a euphemism for
	problems) we encountered in work directed toward supplying
	an integrated user interface for existing software.  The
	most relevant issues arose in connection with our Geographic
	Display Agent, and at first sight it would appear that
	variants of these would affect mixing separate X and PEX
	i/o in the same window.

	Briefly, some of the biggest problems in our X10.4-based
	experience were ...

	--  Inability to direct particular X events for a given
	    window to different processes, each with its own
	    connection to the display server.

	--  Use of nonlinear world coordinates in a map window
	    showing a Mercator projection, with only linear
	    coordinates available to external software which
	    annotates the map.

	--  Automatic declutturing of various objects in the map
	    by the Geographic Display Agent and automatic modification
	    of specified latitude/longitude limits to suit window
	    geometry.

	So far our solution is to encapsulate all map window manipulation
	within the GDA.  I'll be interested to see how PEX solves
	the various problems of input and X event multiplexing, and
	of sharing sufficient knowledge of the image it generates with
	an external software component.

---------------------
Paul Raveling
Raveling@vaxa.isi.edu

vidal@ctt.bellcore.com (Vidal Graupera) (01/30/91)

Could someone forward me a copy of the notes to the tutorial
"X Sample Server Internals" which was given by Keith Packard
at the recent X Technical Conference? Either electronic or paper
version would be fine. Thanks,

Vidal Graupera
Bellcore
RRC 1E230
444 Hoes Lane
Piscataway, NJ 08854

email: vidal@ctt.bellcore.com

P.S. What was the total attendance at the conference?