[net.news] The usenet contact discussion

randy@ranhome.UUCP (Randys Account) (10/16/85)

Unfortunately, many of us do not have Berkely style aliasing for mail.
However, there is an alternative of sorts.  What I do is to make the file
/usr/spool/mail/[usenet|news] a link to my mailbox file.  If I were ever to
actually take a vacation (:-)) I would just change the link to whoever was
going to be news administrator in my place, then change it back when I
returned.  It may be crude, but it seems to work for me.

   |    allegra\                                  Randy Horton           |
   |    decwrl  \                                                        |
   |    dual     >!pyramid!ranhome!randy                                 |
   |    nsc     /                                                        |
   |    topaz  /                                                         |

andy@Shasta.ARPA (10/20/85)

Randy Horton (randy@ranhome.UUCP) writes:

> Unfortunately, many of us do not have Berkely style aliasing for mail.
> However, there is an alternative of sorts.  What I do is to make the file
> /usr/spool/mail/[usenet|news] a link to my mailbox file.  If I were ever to
> actually take a vacation (:-)) I would just change the link to whoever was
> going to be news administrator in my place, then change it back when I
> returned.  It may be crude, but it seems to work for me.

Another alternative is to create a "usenet" account.  The responsible
person can login as "usenet".  Of course, this only works in OSs that
allow account creation. :-)

-andy

decwrl!Glacier!Shasta!andy goes to andy@su-sushi.arpa