[comp.windows.x] adding widgets to Dirt

gardner@oriel.UUCP (Phillip E. Gardner) (02/01/91)

I got a copy of The Dirt Interface Builder from uunet.
In the manual, it mentions that one can add widgets
and that there is a document available which discusses
how to do this.

Does anyone have a copy of this document or know where
I could get one?

Thanks much!!

rlh2@ukc.ac.uk (R.L.Hesketh) (02/01/91)

In article <2@oriel.UUCP> gardner@oriel.ww.com (Phillip E. Gardner) writes:
>I got a copy of The Dirt Interface Builder from uunet.

Its a pity you got a copy of Dirt from uunet because its way out of date
and I cannot update it myself.  The latest version is on expo.lcs.mit.edu
under:

	/contrib/dirt.A1.7.tar.Z	- the whole distribution (Alpha 1.7)
	/contrib/dirt.patchA1.8.Z	- the next patch for it

plus all the patches from patchlevel 2 to 6 which can be applied to the
version on uunet.

>In the manual, it mentions that one can add widgets
>and that there is a document available which discusses
>how to do this.

The full technical implementation manual is still in my head 8-}.  However
I did include two files in the distribution that give brief details on
how to fold new widgets into Dirt and adding context-sensitive help.  These
are under...

	Dirt/dirt_editor/DOC/add_classes.txt
	Dirt/dirt_editor/DOC/help_db.txt

If you cannot find these or would like more information (I always welcome
volunteers 8-) then drop me line.

Adding a few widgets or a widget set like the HP 2-D Widgets is
straightfoward.  However I have been having a little bit of difficulty
folding in the Motif widgets.  This is really due to the size of the task!
There are about 40 widgets/gadgets in the Motif Widget Set which ought
to mean just 40 new entries in an internal table.  Unfortunately Motif also
has about 40 extra resource types that have to be supported to allow full
editing of resources.  These include types that support resolution
independence, string and font lists, internationalization of text (compound
text) and loads and loads of pixmaps!

It could therefore be a long job to get all these extra types supported.
Dirt requires a "TypeToString" converter for all of these types so that it
can generate a Resource file for all the edited resource values.
It may also require new routines to display resource values in a suitable
form.

I have little time to do any of this work of adding either Motif or Open Look
to Dirt so any and all help is gratefully received.  It would be useful
if you have sources to Motif (or OpenLook).

Richard Hesketh
Computing Officer, Computing Lab., University of Kent at Canterbury,
Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NF, United Kingdom.
        Tel: +44 227 764000 ext 7620/7590      Fax: +44 227 762811