[comp.windows.x] Need To Create European Translations of Xmh Resources?

jane@mercury.udev.cdc.com (jm wachutka) (01/31/91)

--
I would like to create a translation of the Xmh resources file
for several European languages.  I do not have an

------------------
Jane Wachutka         |    jane@udev.cdc.com
Control Data Corp.    |
Arden Hills, MN       |    612-482-3869

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (01/31/91)

In article <30168@shamash.cdc.com>, jane@mercury.udev.cdc.com (jm wachutka) writes:
|> I do not have an
|> extended/International keyboard.  How do I enter or indicate
|> the accented vowels in the text strings?

The specification for XLookupString() provides a hook for creating
special characters from multiple keystrokes.  The MIT sample
implementation of XLookupString() does not do this, but several other
implementations do allow you to create "compose" characters.  DEC's
Xlib does this and I've been told (but I have not checked) that Sun's
does, also.  Check with your Xlib vendor.

--
Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.

mouse@lightning.mcrcim.mcgill.EDU (02/01/91)

>> I do not have an extended/International keyboard.  How do I enter or
>> indicate the accented vowels in the text strings?

> The specification for XLookupString() provides a hook for creating
> special characters from multiple keystrokes.  The MIT sample
> implementation of XLookupString() does not do this, but several other
> implementations do allow you to create "compose" characters.  DEC's
> Xlib does this and I've been told (but I have not checked) that Sun's
> does, also.  Check with your Xlib vendor.

There is also compose-character code patterned after the VT-330 (so I'm
told) for ISO Latin-1 (8859-1).  I did not write this; it was written
by Justin Bur, now <justin@lspsun1.epfl.ch>.  The code itself is
available for anonymous ftp from 132.206.1.1 in X/justin-compose.
(X/justin-compose.Sun-extra is further patches primarily for use with
European Sun keyboards using the OpenWindows server.)

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu