[net.news] funny article numbers

adams@calma.UUCP (Robert Adams) (10/26/85)

I have newly installed news software 2.10.2 in my Pyramid 90X and
have a problem I can't find.  Every now and then, inews seems to
read the active file and assign a "next article" number as 9695?.
It happens in random groups, at random times, and after it has
successfully stored away other articles (in the same group even).
The history file says the it stored away article number 9695?
and the active file is updated to the new high number.

Has anyone else had this problem or have any hints?

	adams@calma.UUCP		-- Robert Adams
	...!ucbvax!calma!adams

romain@pyrnj.uucp (Romain Kang) (10/27/85)

In article <29@calma.UUCP>, adams@calma.UUCP (Robert Adams) writes:
> I have newly installed news software 2.10.2 in my Pyramid 90X and
> have a problem I can't find.  Every now and then, inews seems to
> read the active file and assign a "next article" number as 9695?.
> It happens in random groups, at random times, and after it has
> successfully stored away other articles (in the same group even).
> The history file says the it stored away article number 9695?
> and the active file is updated to the new high number.

Sorry to drop this on the net, but it's a irregular C library bug in
scanf-related routines.  This bug has since been fixed, thanks to
topaz!hedrick (who also discovered the bug while working with inews).
Contact your Pyramid office for the latest C libraries.
--

--Romain Kang, Pyramid Technology Corporation

US Mail:	900 Route 9, Woodbridge, NJ  07095
Ma Bell:	(201) 750-2626
UUCPnet:	{allegra,cmcl2,pyramid,topaz}!pyrnj!romain