[net.news] RN is at fault for all this included text

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (10/22/85)

It's been suggested that if RN didn't have an "F" command, people would
just use editors.  This is not the case.  There was a massive increase
in the amount of included text on the net with the introduction of RN.

When I saw the "F" feature in an early release, I wrote an urgent message
to Larry Wall begging him to take this feature out.  He didn't agree that
it would be as bad as I suggested.  I suspect current trends prove me right.

Remember the rule for USENET software design:  Articles are posted once, but
read a thousand times.  Anything that makes it 1% easier for a reader and
500% harder for the poster is worth it.

To my mind, this justifies moderators (as I have described them) and careful
checks in posting software, along with a plethora of keywords.

Right now the net is (roughly) reader-pays, so it should be reader driven.  If
you put in the option for poster-pays, this would change.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

ejnorman@uwmacc.UUCP (Eric Norman) (10/25/85)

In article <445@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>It's been suggested that if RN didn't have an "F" command, people would

My mail reader-responder (on another system) includes the article so
that I can read and respond to individual points,     BUT,        it
normally deletes the original stuff before sending unless I explicitly
save pieces of it.
--

Eric Norman
UUCP:         ...{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!ejnorman

"There ain't nothing so important what you can't poke fun at it."
		-- me

In article <445@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:

>It's been suggested that if RN didn't have an "F" command, people would
>just use editors.  This is not the case.  There was a massive increase
>in the amount of included text on the net with the introduction of RN.

The second sentence does not follow from the third.  A number of people who
habitually include all of a referenced article without bothering to edit it
down any are on sites which apparently do not have rn (or at least, they
appear not to use it).  Rn probably has increased the amount of referencing,
but the problem (unfortunately) lies in the people who post the articles.
Those who are determined to reference are not going to be defeated by the
trivial annoyance of having to explicitly include the reference.

>Remember the rule for USENET software design:  Articles are posted once, but
>read a thousand times.  Anything that makes it 1% easier for a reader and
>500% harder for the poster is worth it.

Unfortunately, one of the drivers of inclusion is the readers.  It is often
forgotten that news propagation is not instantaneous, and is indeed often
quite slow around the edges of the net.  I find it annoying (and this is a
common occurance in groups like SF-lovers which have lots of novice users)
to receive articles which refer to previous articles with giving me a clue
as to what they said.  Certainly inclusions should be the minimum possible;
but  it seems to me that they are necessary.

I generally have some inclusion in most of my postings.  I always attempt to
cut out as much as possible (even to the point of trimming not only
paragraphs but sentences within paragraphs).  Rather than include a long
series of replies, I attempt to summarize.  If you read the nettiquette
article, all these practices are recommended.

Let me say a few words about some of the mentality behind some bad
inclusions.  First, the famous point-by-point rebuttal.  Some people seem to
feel it is necessary to put a paragraph of their own after every paragraph
in the original, as if this were some sort of a argument in the street.  To
my mind it is much better to perhaps put in a short inclusion to set the
tone, make a general reply, and then, if there are any specific points to
reply to, brief inclusions for them.  On second thought, cut out the first
inclusion.

There seems to be a growing disregard for nettiquette.  Someone mistakenly
referred to James Tiptree as being male in SF-lovers.  So far I think
there's been about 15 articles correcting this, with more sure to follow.
About ten people identified the girl in the train in Superman.  Newsgroup
boundaries are being routinely ignored.  Everyone has their theories about
why this is, (and mine probably won't go over too well with most people on
the net) but the facts are that the current structure of the net, and its
philosophy of operation, encourage this sort of behavior, simply because
there is no way to control anything, and because any attempt by anyone to
control anything is met with a tremendous hue and cry.  Personally, I
sympathize with Gene.  The backbone sites are simply going to have to act
autocratically on these matters, and if the leaves don't like it, fine.
They can go form their own net.

Charley Wingate

"I say this because I want to be prime minister of Canada someday." - M. Fox

bch@ecsvax.UUCP (Byron C. Howes) (10/25/85)

I don't think rn is any more at fault than readnews in accounting for the
included text, and probably significantly less at fault.  At least rn
gives you the option of including text or not when following up on an
article.  Readnews blindly includes the text.  If you happen to be using
a line editor, rather than a full screen editor, you are often unaware
that a possibly large file has been included in your followup. (Yes O great
designers of the netnews software, there are still people who use line
editors out there.)  I have put a local hack in that queries you as to
whether you really want to include the parent article to avoid exactly this
accident.
--

                                              Byron Howes
					System Manager -- NCECS

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (10/28/85)

[WARNING:  ALL OF <3220@ut-sally.UUCP> is in here -- see the end for the reason]

> It's been suggested that if RN didn't have an "F" command, people would
> just use editors.  This is not the case.  There was a massive increase
> in the amount of included text on the net with the introduction of RN.
>
> When I saw the "F" feature in an early release, I wrote an urgent message
> to Larry Wall begging him to take this feature out.  He didn't agree that
> it would be as bad as I suggested.  I suspect current trends prove me right.
>
> Remember the rule for USENET software design:  Articles are posted once, but
> read a thousand times.  Anything that makes it 1% easier for a reader and
> 500% harder for the poster is worth it.
>
> To my mind, this justifies moderators (as I have described them) and careful
> checks in posting software, along with a plethora of keywords.
>
> Right now the net is (roughly) reader-pays, so it should be reader driven.  If
> you put in the option for poster-pays, this would change.
> --
> Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

I hate to tell you... but I sent this from 2.10.2 readnews (temporary, I am
stuck at 300 baud right now...) -- and the only followup command available
automatically includes the message.  Ditto vnews.  If anything, rn is BETTER
since the `f' command is available.
--
	``Youth, you are guilty of muddy thinking.''

	Mentor

ncoast!allbery@Case.CSNet (ncoast!allbery%Case.CSNet@CSNet-Relay.ARPA)
..decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!bsa -- maybe ..genrad!mit-eddie!futura!ncoast!allbery
6615 Center St., Mentor, OH 44060 (I moved) --Phone: +01 216 974 9210
CIS 74106,1032 -- MCI MAIL BALLBERY (WARNING: I am only a part-time denizen...)
		    ncoast is dead, long live ncoast!