[comp.windows.x] twm problem with subwindows

emee36@castle.ed.ac.uk (C Spencer) (01/30/91)

Can anyone help, advise; we are running FrameMaker under X11R4, using
the twm window manager. Maker opens subwindows from a document for
formatting, etc. If we try to remove one of these subwindows, using
for example, a 'kill window' option in twm, the whole document goes,
with consequent lack of appreciation.

Thinking that this is more likely to be a problem with twm than with
FrameMaker. Any thoughts, suggestions ..

	Charles Spencer,
	Mechanical Engineering, Edinburgh University

converse@expo.lcs.mit.EDU (01/31/91)

> we are running FrameMaker under X11R4, using
> the twm window manager. Maker opens subwindows from a document for
> formatting, etc. If we try to remove one of these subwindows, using
> for example, a 'kill window' option in twm, the whole document goes,
> with consequent lack of appreciation.

Try using twm's f.delete function, which will ask FrameMaker to close
the selected window.  The twm function f.destroy is probably being
invoked when 'kill window' is selected; if so, it is operating
properly.  Read about these functions in the twm manual pages.

Donna Converse

toml@marvin.Solbourne.COM (Tom LaStrange) (01/31/91)

   Can anyone help, advise; we are running FrameMaker under X11R4, using
   the twm window manager. Maker opens subwindows from a document for
   formatting, etc. If we try to remove one of these subwindows, using
   for example, a 'kill window' option in twm, the whole document goes,
   with consequent lack of appreciation.

   Thinking that this is more likely to be a problem with twm than with
   FrameMaker. Any thoughts, suggestions ..

One potential problem is that Frame puts the WM_PROTOCOLS property on
dialog boxes after it maps them.  I haven't looked at the twm code, but
if it only looks at WM_PROTOCOLS during the reparenting phase, it won't
try to do the right thing with an f.delete.

The other thing you might check is to see if you are doing an f.kill
insetad of an f.delete which will definitely kill the whole application.

--
Tom LaStrange

Solbourne Computer Inc.    ARPA: toml@Solbourne.COM
1900 Pike Rd.              UUCP: ...!{boulder,sun}!stan!toml
Longmont, CO  80501

bmc@bmw.mayo.EDU (01/31/91)

Well, I believe that the problem is due to the way framemaker interacts
with twm. To remove subwindows, try hitting ctrl C in the window. I
find that works for me.

--Bruce
Bruce M. Cameron                    bmc@bru.mayo.edu
Medical Sciences 1-14               (507) 284-3288
Mayo Foundation                     WD9CKW
Rochester, MN 55905

dougs@baldwin.WV.TEK.COM (Doug Schwartz;685-2700;61-252;641-4115;Baldwin) (02/01/91)

In article <9101301832.AA29076@excess.lcs.mit.edu> converse@expo.lcs.mit.EDU writes:

>> we are running FrameMaker under X11R4, using
>> the twm window manager. Maker opens subwindows from a document for
>> formatting, etc. If we try to remove one of these subwindows, using
>> for example, a 'kill window' option in twm, the whole document goes,
>
>Try using twm's f.delete function, which will ask FrameMaker to close
>the selected window. ...

Huh?  Don't all of these have a cancel button?  The ones that don't (Search,
Spell, etc), if you click the middle mouse button while the cursor is in the
title bar of the subwindow, the subwindow goes away.

Just a tyro FrameMaker (1.3) user,
--
        Doug Schwartz           dougs@orca.wv.tek.com
        Tektronix

delanzo@sparc22.hri.com (Michael DeLanzo) (02/06/91)

In article <8159@castle.ed.ac.uk>, emee36@castle.ed.ac.uk (C Spencer) writes:
> Can anyone help, advise; we are running FrameMaker under X11R4, using
> the twm window manager. Maker opens subwindows from a document for
> formatting, etc. If we try to remove one of these subwindows, using
> for example, a 'kill window' option in twm, the whole document goes,
> with consequent lack of appreciation.
>
> Thinking that this is more likely to be a problem with twm than with
> FrameMaker. Any thoughts, suggestions ..

Use keyboard shortcut CONTROL-C (or mwm).

-md