[comp.windows.x] How to repeat X commands on multiple servers?

EYRING@cc.utah.edu (02/04/91)

We ha an X11 demo to show to a large group.  Normally we would rent a
large screen projector to do the demo.  We have lots of extra X-servers.
Would it be possible somehow to run the demo on one server and have the
graphics output to multiple other demo X-servers sitting on the ethernet?
It sounds possible, but also sounds like a lot of special code.

Bob Witmer
Eyring, Inc. Flight Sim
Salt Lake City, Utah
rcw%eyring.uucp@snowbird.sun.com
eyring@cc.utah.edu

sivan@bpa_su10.Sbi.Com (Sivan Mahadevan) (02/06/91)

In article <107454@cc.utah.edu>, EYRING@cc.utah.edu writes:
> We ha an X11 demo to show to a large group.  Normally we would rent a
> large screen projector to do the demo.  We have lots of extra X-servers.
> Would it be possible somehow to run the demo on one server and have the
> graphics output to multiple other demo X-servers sitting on the ethernet?
> It sounds possible, but also sounds like a lot of special code.

There is a tool at Brown University called XMX, an X protocol
multiplexor, that will do exactly what you want.

XMX is available by anonymous ftp:

    	host:   wilma.cs.brown.edu (128.148.31.66)
	file:   pub/xmx.tar.Z

or send mail to

	John Bazik
	jsb@cs.brown.edu

--
Sivan Mahadevan
Salomon Brothers Inc	Bond Portfolio Analysis		Analytical Applications Group