[comp.windows.x] running other processes with windows

brp@bandit.berkeley.edu (Bruce Raoul Parnas) (02/07/91)

thanx for all the response on getting status messages to users with widgets.  in
doing this, it occurred to me that i have a deeper question:

i have a large computational routine and would like a widget to display status
from this.  how can i continue to update this window without being in a
XtAppMainLoop, XtMainLoop or something similar?  The documentation for XtWorkProc
seems to indicate that it is for "small" jobs that happen in between requests.  I
would like to have my procedure be the main job, and be able to output status in
a widget.  i now send output via printf to the window from which i invoked the
routine, and would simply like to redirect this output to a widget that i open,
without seriously affecting my ability to perform the main computation.

sounds like i want a lot, doesn't it?  has anyone done this sort of thing?

thanx,
bruce
(brp@bandit.berkeley.edu)

In article <1991Feb6.223302.25752@agate.berkeley.edu> brp@bandit.berkeley.edu (Bruce Raoul Parnas) writes:
>would like to have my procedure be the main job, and be able to output status in
>a widget.  i now send output via printf to the window from which i invoked the
>routine, and would simply like to redirect this output to a widget that i open,
>without seriously affecting my ability to perform the main computation.

If you're using Unix, you could fork a child process that can create the
widget.  Create a pipe, and use fprintf to send the status into the pipe.
The child process reads from the pipe while in its main loop, and copies
any input to the widget.

--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com