[comp.windows.x] Displaying a wiget with border disabled.

avinash@contex.UUCP (Avinash Chopde) (02/07/91)

I am a X novice, and have run into a small problem:
I am using the Athena Widget Set, and need to display
the label widget without the border.

What is the best of doing that ?
I found two ways:
one is to set the borderColor to XtDefaultBackground
and the other is to set the borderWidth to 0

Which is more preferable/portable ? I prefer the borderWidth
method, but could run into problems if some X systems ignore
widths of 0, and use the smallest possible width available (for example,
use 1 as the width).

Other solutions will be appreciated, too.
(I am using Wcl to generate a UI specification.)
--
---------------------------
Avinash Chopde             home :   508 470 1190     office : 617 224 5582

gildea@expo.lcs.mit.EDU (Stephen Gildea) (02/07/91)

    one is to set the borderColor to XtDefaultBackground
    and the other is to set the borderWidth to 0

    Which is more preferable/portable ? I prefer the borderWidth
    method, but could run into problems if some X systems ignore
    widths of 0, and use the smallest possible width available (for example,
    use 1 as the width).

They give different results, so you should use the one that gives the
effect you want.  Setting the borderColor still leaves space for the
border.

What makes you think that a border width of 0 is not portable?  Or
that it isn't the smallest possible width?

 < Stephen
   MIT X Consortium

avinash@contex.UUCP (Avinash Chopde) (02/07/91)

>In article <9102061947.AA07665@excalibur.lcs.mit.edu>, gildea@expo.lcs.mit.EDU (Stephen Gildea) writes:

>> What makes you think that a border width of 0 is not portable?  Or
>> that it isn't the smallest possible width?
>>
>>  < Stephen
>>    MIT X Consortium

No reason at all, I am just juggling X and PostScript tasks currently,
and in PostScript a linewidth of 0 implies using the smallest possible
width---what I need is that 0 should be taken as NO width---nothing
drawn.

And, in general, since 0 width implies a boundary condition, I was
worried that there might be X systems out there that barfed on it.

Anyway, I guess my fear is unfounded, and thanks for the help, I will
go with setting the borderWidth to zero.
--