[comp.windows.x] Xt Default Files

Male.HENR801C@xerox.COM (02/07/91)

If I'm writing an application with Xt Intrinsics, and its
name is "xfloyd", what names to I give to the different
default files, where do I store them, and how does the
application code specify what files are to be read?

Thnx,
male.henr801c@xerox.com

dsr@mir.mitre.org (Douglas S. Rand) (02/08/91)

In article <".7-Feb-91..8:16:22.EST".*.Ronald_M._Male.Henr801C@Xerox.com>, Male.HENR801C@xerox.COM writes:

> If I'm writing an application with Xt Intrinsics, and its
> name is "xfloyd", what names to I give to the different
> default files, where do I store them, and how does the
> application code specify what files are to be read?
>
> Thnx,
> male.henr801c@xerox.com

Anyname you want.  Let's say you want to have the application
class be XFloyd (kind of standard).  So you do this in your
application:

   toplevel = XtInitialize(argv[0], "XFloyd", NULL, 0, &argc, argv);

Now you create the file to get the application defaults in
tree/X11/app-defaults/XFloyd,  where tree is the path that your
X11 lib directory is installed.

That's it.  If you want other files read in then your app needs
to do it all.  For example,  I have a tool which reads in a file
from either /usr/local/lib/X11/app-defaults/system.fcrc or
/usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/system.fcrc or ~/.fcrc,  but that all needs
to be done by "hand".

--
Douglas S. Rand
Internet:   <dsrand@mitre.org>