[comp.windows.x] OpenWindows: How does it work?

gulik@motcid.UUCP (Gregory Gulik) (02/01/91)

I've been using Openwindows 2.0 on my Sun 3/60 for several weeks now,
and I'm still amazed.

Does anyone know how it performs the magic to get X and Sunview
applications to run on the same screen?

While we're at it, why do Sunview applications always have that annoying
white border around them?  Is there any way to get rid of it?

Thanks.

-greg

Gregory A. Gulik
        mcdchg!motcid!gulik  ||  greg@gagme.chi.il.us

mouse@lightning.mcrcim.mcgill.EDU (02/06/91)

>> [Openwindows 2.0]

>> While we're at it, why do Sunview applications always have that
>> annoying white border around them?  Is there any way to get rid of
>> it?
[previous text indicates border is 16 pixels wide.]
> The white border is a hack to keep the SunView cursor from leaving
> "turds" on the X11/NeWS screen and vice versa, since each window
> system wants to manage the cursor themselves.  It works most of the
> time, but I agree it is aesthetically displeasing.

Does this imply that the X side of X11/NeWS is limited to 16x16
cursors?

And in passing, why white?  Shouldn't it be user-selectable?  (A
16-pixel border of white would be quite glaring on my screen, which is
always white-on-black.)

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

brsmith@cs.umn.edu (Brian R. Smith) (02/07/91)

In <9102060028.AA04676@lightning.McRCIM.McGill.EDU> mouse@lightning.mcrcim.mcgill.EDU writes:

>>> [Openwindows 2.0]

>>> While we're at it, why do Sunview applications always have that
>>> annoying white border around them?  Is there any way to get rid of
>>> it?

>[previous text indicates border is 16 pixels wide.]

>> The white border is a hack to keep the SunView cursor from leaving
>> "turds" on the X11/NeWS screen and vice versa, since each window
>> system wants to manage the cursor themselves.  It works most of the
>> time, but I agree it is aesthetically displeasing.

>Does this imply that the X side of X11/NeWS is limited to 16x16
>cursors?

Nope.  I have a 32x64 Bart cursor - it works ok, but you get those
"turds" on both X and sunview windows.

>And in passing, why white?  Shouldn't it be user-selectable?  (A
>16-pixel border of white would be quite glaring on my screen, which
>is always white-on-black.)

I'd like to turn the border off completely - it's an ugly hack that
only works with small cursors, so it's not doing ME any good...
Sadly, there is (apparently) no option to do so.  I expect I'll
suffer through somehow.
--
Brian

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (02/08/91)

In article <4619@melon11.UUCP> gulik@motcid.UUCP (Gregory Gulik) writes:

Gregory> I've been using Openwindows 2.0 on my Sun 3/60 for several weeks now,
Gregory> and I'm still amazed.
Gregory> Does anyone know how it performs the magic to get X and Sunview
Gregory> applications to run on the same screen?

X and NeWS are both really network protocols. Each protocol has
messages that allows for the creation of windows, etc. Running X and
NeWS applications together is a matter of being able to handle both
protocols. No big deal - in theory.

Gregory> While we're at it, why do Sunview applications always have
Gregory> that annoying white border around them?

SunView is a kernel-based window system, i.e. all the primitives are
built directly into the kernel and everything works by writing
directly to video memory. All OpenWindows does is fool the kernel into
believing that SunView is running. That's why SunView windows always
stay on top of everything else -- they are written directly to video
memory, behind the back of the window server.

The white border is added to mark these windows as "special", and
because strange things most be done when the cursor moves from one
type of window to the other.

It's a nice feature, but it is really only a stopgap.

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   | Beauty is a French phonetic corruption
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. |                   - FZ

bkm@wintermute.Eng.Sun.COM (Bruce Martin Jr.) (02/08/91)

In article <9102060028.AA04676@lightning.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>, mouse@lightning.mcrcim.mcgill.EDU writes:

|> Does this imply that the X side of X11/NeWS is limited to 16x16
|> cursors?

Nope, large cursors are just fine.  There just had to be some
reasonable compromise on the width of the border.

|> And in passing, why white?  Shouldn't it be user-selectable?  (A
|> 16-pixel border of white would be quite glaring on my screen, which is
|> always white-on-black.)

Agreed, it should be (but isn't).  It is quite annoying if you use low
intensity colors on your screen.

				...bruce

Bruce Martin Jr.			Email: bkm@Eng.Sun.Com
Window Systems Group			Sun Microsystems, Inc.
415/336-2992

gulik@motcid.UUCP (Gregory Gulik) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb6.172558.4483@cs.umn.edu> brsmith@cs.umn.edu (Brian R. Smith) writes:
>I'd like to turn the border off completely - it's an ugly hack that
>only works with small cursors, so it's not doing ME any good...
>Sadly, there is (apparently) no option to do so.  I expect I'll
>suffer through somehow.

I agree that it would be nice to turn it off, or have the border
size be user configurable.

But anyway..

Did anyone ever notice that walking menus that extend outside
the sunview window don't have the ugly 16 pixel borders?

I'm just hoping that all our tools can be rewritten in X soon!

I ran the normal X11R4 instead of OpenWindows one time, and it
seemed to be about twice as fast!  Plus, it started up in seconds
instead of minutes!