[comp.windows.x] pcf fonts???

remaker@icarus.amd.com (Phillip Remaker) (02/09/91)

I was recently tasked with getting some OPENLOOK applications to
display under dxwm. dxwm used to use .snf fonts, and I had converted
the MIT distribution XView fonts (using dec's bdftosnf) so I could do this.

Recently, they DEC2100s (the machines running dxwm) had some upgrades done
and now they use .pcf fonts.

What the heck are .pcf fonts, and are there any utilities to convert
.bdf to .pcf?  Brain-dead DEC didn't include one.  Guess they don't
want OPEN LOOK applications polluting their environment 8-(.
(.pcf = pollution control fonts?)

Stupid DEC.  I recommend they throw the 2100s off the tallest building
in the area and but some Sun 4/20s.

Help!

--
Phillip A. Remaker A.M.D. M/S 167 P.O. Box 3453 Sunnyvale, CA 94088-3000
TCP/IP internetworking from hell. DoD #185 remaker@amd.com  408-749-2552

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb8.173249.24995@amd.com> remaker@icarus.amd.com (Phillip Remaker) writes:
>What the heck are .pcf fonts, and are there any utilities to convert
>.bdf to .pcf?  Brain-dead DEC didn't include one.  Guess they don't
>want OPEN LOOK applications polluting their environment 8-(.
>(.pcf = pollution control fonts?)

You can use dxfc to convert bdf fonts to pcf fonts.  DEC's servers will
also use bdf fonts if you don't want to convert them.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

erik@westworld.esd.sgi.com (Erik Fortune) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb8.173249.24995@amd.com>, remaker@icarus.amd.com (Phillip Remaker) writes:
>What the heck are .pcf fonts, and are there any utilities to convert
>.bdf to .pcf?  Brain-dead DEC didn't include one.  Guess they don't
>want OPEN LOOK applications polluting their environment 8-(.
>(.pcf = pollution control fonts?)

PCF stands for Portable Compiled Fonts.   The R5 sample server
and font server will both use PCF fonts.

Re: compiling BDF fonts on a DECstation
Try dxfc.  It's probably in /usr/bin/X11.
dx = standard DEC prefix for decwindows apps
fc = font compiler

Next time, RTFM.

>--
>Phillip A. Remaker A.M.D. M/S 167 P.O. Box 3453 Sunnyvale, CA 94088-3000
>TCP/IP internetworking from hell. DoD #185 remaker@amd.com  408-749-2552
>   Things to do today:  1) Get a clue.  2) Get a job.  3) Get a life.
                            ^^^^^^^^^^
                            How appropriate.

-- Erik

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb8.173249.24995@amd.com>, remaker@icarus.amd.com (Phillip Remaker) writes:
|> What the heck are .pcf fonts, and are there any utilities to convert
|> .bdf to .pcf?  Brain-dead DEC didn't include one.

RTFM:  dxfc -  BDF to PCF font compiler for X11

By the way, DECstation servers accept the BDF format straight.  Compiling your
fonts gives you a little better performance, but it is not required.

--
Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.

willis@ecovsb.ncsu.edu (Bill Willis) (02/09/91)

--

Maybe you should add "4) learn how to read" to your signature line. Of course
Digital has a font compiler. Its dxfc and has been included in every release

Bill Willis, Director                 willis@ecovsa.ncsu.edu
Engineering Computer Operations       willis%ecovsa@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu
Box 7901, School of Engineering
North Carolina State University
(919) 737-2458

               We have met the enemy, and they are us --- Pogo