[comp.windows.x] Changing the title of an xterm

jsv9504@isc.rit.edu (J.S. Veiss) (02/08/91)

In sunview, you can change the title of an existing window via an escape sequence.
Is there anyways to do this with an xterm?  Please respond via E-mail.

Jepher

--
-------------------
Jepher Veiss

Rochester Institute of Technology

michiel@baan.UUCP (Michiel Wories) (02/11/91)

jsv9504@isc.rit.edu (J.S. Veiss) writes:

>In sunview, you can change the title of an existing window via an escape sequence.
>Jepher Veiss

I have added this line into my .cshrc to change the title of a
xterm session (you can use the escape sequence any other way):

alias   xname      echo -n "^[]l\!*^["

Regards,
---
Michiel Wories @ Baan International, The Netherlands
..!hp4nl!baan!michiel

jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb8.041829.25181@isc.rit.edu> jsv9504@isc.rit.edu (J.S. Veiss) writes:
->
->   In sunview, you can change the title of an existing window via an escape sequence.
->   Is there anyways to do this with an xterm?  Please respond via E-mail.
->
->   Jepher
->
->   --
->   -------------------
->   Jepher Veiss
->
->   Rochester Institute of Technology

Yes, there is a way and it has been posted. I have a copy of a C program which
does this just as well, and you can have it put the name of the current directory
into the title, or the icon name, or both.  If anyone wants a copy of this and the
alias that goes along with it, send me mail.

JC

--
James Cameron  -  jc@raven.bu.edu

Signal Processing and Interpretation Lab, ECS Engineering Dept.
	Boston University, Boston MA
	Work: 617 353-2879
Information Technology
	Boston University, Boston MA
	work: 617 353-2780 ext. 338

		"But to risk we must, because the greatest hazard in life
	is to risk nothing.  For the man or woman who risks nothing, has
	nothing, does nothing, is nothing."

	(A quote from the eulogy for the late Christa McAuliffe.)