[comp.windows.x] OSF and FTC?

fgreco@govt.shearson.COM (Frank Greco) (02/08/91)

There was a little piece in the NY Times
about the OSF being investigated by the
Federal Trade Commision for antitrust violations.
I've also noticed one or two postings
on xpert mentioning this briefly.
Since the Times article wasn't really that
informative, does anyone have any *real* details
on this?

Thanks,

Frank G.

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (02/08/91)

In article <9102071926.AA17803@fis1.shearson.com>, fgreco@govt.shearson.COM (Frank Greco) writes:
|> There was a little piece in the NY Times
|> about the OSF being investigated by the
|> Federal Trade Commision for antitrust violations.

There have been reports on this in many of the trade rags.  Apparently,
some small software vendors are claiming that the OSF Request For
Technology process is forcing prices down in some formerly profitable
areas (graphical user interfaces, for example) and thus hurting their
business.  One of these vendors may have asked the FTC to investigate
on the grounds that OSF "standards" are hurting competition.  The FTC
has not filed any charges in the matter and would not confirm that an
investigation is in progress.

--
Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.

marbru@attc.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (02/09/91)

In article <9102071926.AA17803@fis1.shearson.com> fgreco@govt.shearson.COM (Frank Greco) writes:

>There was a little piece in the NY Times

     Oh God, Frank. Everyone on this Net already knows that you
     hate OSF and everything OTHER than Sun Microsystems.
     Do you HAVE to use this net to distribute your HATER ?

     I, for myself, hate Sun Microsystems, their SLOWstations I and II,
     their barely-running, buggy software and CLOSED-WINDOWS system.
     Should I therefore re-post to this Net every Wall Street
     recomendation to sell-off Sun stock (with all their explanations
     why Sun is caught up in a dead-end street ) ?

     This group is comp.windows.x.
     If you want to discuss who investigates OSF, T.Bone Pickens or
     anybody else, you should post to alt.politics and similar flamegroups.

--
=*= Opinions presented here are solely of my own and not those of Auto-trol =*=
Martin Brunecky                           {...}sunpeaks!auto-trol!marbru

fgreco@govt.shearson.COM (Frank Greco) (02/12/91)

(Martin Brunecky) sez:
>      Oh God, Frank. Everyone on this Net already knows that you
>      hate OSF and everything OTHER than Sun Microsystems!
>      Do you HAVE to use this net to distribute your HATER ?
>
>      I, for myself, hate Sun Microsystems, their SLOWstations I and II,
>      their barely-running, buggy software and CLOSED-WINDOWS system.
>      Should I therefore re-post to this Net EVERY Wall Street
>      recomendation to sell-off Sun stock (with all their explanations
>      why Sun is caught up in a dead-end street ) ?

Have you considered changing to a decaffinated coffee?

Frank G.