[net.news] Time to Defend Net.sources.mac!!!

gwe@cbdkc1.UUCP ( George Erhart WDS ) (10/30/85)

Attention Fellow Mac Users:

There have been recent discussion in net.news and net.news.group about
removing net.sources.mac because of its high volume (a.k.a. cost!) and
small audience.

Gene Spafford has suggested that we use a moderated group to reduce the
amount of reposts and "useless" postings. If it comes down to having
no net.sources.mac or nothing, I would be happy to moderate a group
for mac sources. (I just hope it doesn't come to that!)

To the weenies that want to turn net.sources.mac off:

FLAME ON *******

  First, USENET isn't for UNIX only discussions. The argument is BS!!!
If that were the case, then we would only have net.unix, net.unix-wizards
and perhaps a few others.

 Second, the audience for net.sources.mac is "potentially" very large.
A number of univerisities on this net have a substantial commitment to Macs.
Just because you don't own or use a Mac does not mean that others don't!

 Third, If you or your site does not want to take *any* news group, that is
your options. Simply inform your upstream sites not to send it to you and
tell you downstream sites to get it from someone else!

FLAME OFF *******

Mac people, this is your chance to get involved. If net.sources.mac goes away,
you can't say that you were not warned! Please subscribe to net.news(.group)
and make you opinions known!
--
George Erhart at AT&T Bell Laboratories Columbus, Ohio
614-860-4021 {ihnp4,cbosgd}!cbdkc1!gwe

phillips@reed.UUCP (Patrick Phillips) (10/31/85)

In article <1193@cbdkc1.UUCP> gwe@cbdkc1.UUCP ( George Erhart WDS ) writes:

>Attention Fellow Mac Users:
>
>There have been recent discussion in net.news and net.news.group about
>removing net.sources.mac because of its high volume (a.k.a. cost!) and
>small audience.
> Second, the audience for net.sources.mac is "potentially" very large.

I have to agree.  Unless some policy decision is made regarding the Net only
containing UNIX related items, net.sources.mac should say.  Because of the
very nature of the group, it is hard to assess readership.  There are only
so many programs to be posted, and once they, there is no reason to
repost them.  Because of this, a few ardent program-posters could heavily
skew the total number of people posting stuff.  But this does not mean
that there aren't thousands of people reading the group.

My feeling is that there are many people using the group.  There are
probably upwards of 20 Apple University Consortium schools on the Net,
and I'm sure that they all follow net.sources.mac closely.  A Reed,
we have a software librarian who is supposed to be reading the net and
collecting all of the programs (I hope she's doing her job :-).  There
are probably many independent users who also use this resource.

Until we define a Usenet policy regarding non-UNIX groups, net.sources.mac
should stay.  If you don't like it, don't receive it.

		Patrick Phillips
		Reed College

ecec@ur-tut.UUCP (Eric Carleen) (11/02/85)

I ask that the Mac groups be kept on the net.

But I know that I don't pay the bills...

I prefer unmoderated groups to moderated ones, because I would just as
soon do my own editing.  But I would far rather see moderated groups than
none at all.  I hope that if any Mac groups are to be removed, that the
offers to moderate replacements are accepted.

                            Eric Carleen
                            University of Rochester Medical Center
                            UUCP:  {seismo|allegra}!rochester!ur-msbvax!edc
                            Bitnet: heartedc@uordbv