[comp.windows.x] Need help

jte@shire.cs.psu.edu (Jon Eckhardt) (07/09/88)

Hello.  I have been trying to ftp to expo to download the contrib.src
directory with little luck.  Could somebody give me the name of another
public ftp site?  Thanks.

--Jon

 # jte@shire.cs.psu.edu               <- ARPA Phone: 814-237-1901 (Home)    #
 # jte@psuvaxs                        <- BITNET      814-865-9723 (Work)    #
 # <ihnp4,burdvax,purdue>!psuvax1!shire!jte <- UUCP                         #
# jte@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (128.118.6.2) <- ARPA    Name: Jon T Eckhardt       #
# jte@psuvax1                         <- BITNET   Phone: 814-238-8209        #
# <ihnp4,burdvax,purdue>!psuvax1!jte   <- UUCP    Penn State University      #

vixie@palo-alto.DEC.COM (Paul Vixie) (07/12/88)

In article <3682@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> jte@shire.cs.psu.edu (Jon Eckhardt) writes:
# Hello.  I have been trying to ftp to expo to download the contrib.src
# directory with little luck.  Could somebody give me the name of another
# public ftp site?  Thanks.

Try uunet.uu.net or decwrl.dec.com.
--
Paul Vixie
Digital Equipment Corporation	Work:  vixie@dec.com	Play:  paul@vixie.UUCP

myavuzer@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Matt Yavuzer) (09/06/89)

Has anybody done programming under  GNU-C++/X-WindowsV11R3 environment?
I would be very glad to hear suggestions or solutions to incompatibility
problems.

Matt

bob@odi.COM (Bob Miner) (09/06/89)

>     Has anybody done programming under  GNU-C++/X-WindowsV11R3 environment?
>     I would be very glad to hear suggestions or solutions to incompatibility
>     problems.
>
>     Matt

I haven't been using GNU-C++, but I have been using AT&T's cfront with X11R3
and Sun's cc.  To be able to make X function calls directly from C++, I had
to create a set of header files which redefine X functions before including
X header files and then create my own function prototypes with arguments.
This is very similar, if not identical, to what a person using an ANSI-C
compiler would have to do to get the compiler to do function argument checking.

I'd be happy to send these files to you, or anyone else.  If there's sufficient
interest I'll post them to comp.sources.x.  I've got three files - ansiXlib.h,
ansiXt.h and ansiXm.h (Xlib, Xt and Motif's Xm respectively).  The Xlib file
is essentially a cleaned-up version of what came with InterViews on the X11R3
tape.  I've been somewhat reluctant to mail them out until recently as I've
been testing them.  I'm sure they've got errors and are incomplete still, but
they're a good place to start and errors/incompletenesses are easy to fix
(you get a compiler error and you fix or add the offending function prototype).
I've been using them for a few weeks now and they work fine.

Bob Miner - bob@odi.com
Object Design Inc.
1 New England Executive Park
Burlington, MA 01803
(617) 270-9797

samperi@marob.masa.com (Dominick Samperi) (09/07/89)

In article <724@rodan.acs.syr.edu> myavuzer@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Matt Yavuzer) writes:
>Has anybody done programming under  GNU-C++/X-WindowsV11R3 environment?
>I would be very glad to hear suggestions or solutions to incompatibility
>problems.

Just started trying to use g++ with X11R3, and found these sticky problems:

1. There are structure field names in header files with names like
   'class', a reserved keyword in C++.

2. Header files contain structure defs of the form:
   struct foo { ... } foo, and this seems to cause g++ to choke.

So we've been forced to use C jacket routines to hide the C++
incompatibilities in X.

Dominick

--
Dominick Samperi -- ESCC
samperi@marob.masa.com

fox@cs.cs.columbia.edu (David Fox) (09/07/89)

I just made my own copies of the header files, fixed all the
compiler complaints, and now I add prototypes for functions
whenever I need them.

David Fox
fox@cs.columbia.edu

myers@hpldola.HP.COM (Dan Myers) (09/07/89)

Matt Yavuzer writes:

> Has anybody done programming under  GNU-C++/X-WindowsV11R3 environment?
> I would be very glad to hear suggestions or solutions to incompatibility
> problems.

	A project known as InterViews (Interactive Views) has been going
	on for some time at Stanford University, under the direction of
	Professor Mark Linton.  InterViews is an object-oriented
	extensible graphics library, implemented in C++ and running on
	top of X11R3.  The most recent version (2.5) is distributed with
	and (optionally) compiled with G++ (BTW, Michael Tiemann, implementor
	of G++, is a member of Dr. Linton's group).  Dr. Linton and members
	of his group have written a number of papers on their experiences
	with C++/object-oriented design/implementation of InterViews.  For
	further information, one may subscribe to the InterViews mailing
	list (interviews@interviews.stanford.edu) or send mail to Dr. Linton
	(linton@interviews.stanford.edu should do the trick...).

> Matt
> ----------

Dan

<standard disclaimers here... >

M6KM%UNB.CA@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (07/26/90)

I have a client and a server running on different hosts (UNIX machines).
Both machines run X servers.
Is it possible for a client (from one host)
to open connection (display) to a server (in the other host)?
I tried this several times, but it always failed, and I was given a message
"Client cannot access to the server".
I already added the host of the server to the access list in the host
of the client. But it still didn't work.
Could you give me a clue how to do this, if possible?
Thanks a lot for your time and help.
 Sincerely
  Kudang Seminar
  Faculty of Computer Science
  Univ. of New Brunswick, Canada
  e-mail:m6km@unb.ca

dave@dptechno.UUCP (Dave Lee) (07/28/90)

In article <ID5700.D900726.T112354.M6KM@UNB.CA> M6KM%UNB.CA@MITVMA.MIT.EDU writes:
>"Client cannot access to the server".
>I already added the host of the server to the access list in the host

You have it backwards.
The hostname of the CLIENT should be added to the access list of the SERVER.
This means "CLIENT" may open a connection to "SERVER".
The X server on the HOST machine is in no aspect involved with connections
with the X server on the SERVER machine.

--
Dave Lee
uunet!dptechno!dave

f_clement@cen.jrc.it (Francis Clement TP300 CCR ISPRA 21020 ITALY) (11/16/90)

Dear Sir
I got your address from IBM Italy.
I am working in a research center of the EEC in Italy.
I just receive a R6000,mod 320 running AIX 3.1. with CD-room and 2.3 GB tape.
I am looking for software running on this machine with particular
emphasis to  X software ,Tek and Emacs.
Can you help me?
Thanks a lot in advance.
F.Clement

chapman@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Carol Chapman) (02/13/91)

I'm using Motif 1.1 (on VMS, but that shouldn't make a difference).  I
have a Command widget which has XmNsensitive set to False so that
users can't enter commands from the screen, but my application can
print messages to the widget.  I set XmNvalue with the current
message, but I can't figure out how to get the previous message up
into the history region.  I would like the 2 previous messages to
appear in the history region.  I have XmNhistoryMaxItems and
XmNhistoryVisibleItemCount set to 2.  I'm not sure how/if/when to set
XmNhistoryItems and/or XmNhistoryItemCount.

Can anyone help?

thanx,
carol    (if chapman1@llnl.gov doesn't work, use
          chapman@lll-crg.llnl.gov)
Carol Chapman                                        Tel. (415) 423-7876
Livermore National Laboratory                NEW -->  chapman1@.llnl.gov
P. O. Box 808, L-572            "Are you in charge here?"
Livermore, CA  94550            "No, but I'm full of ideas!"  -- Dr. Who