[comp.windows.x] RISKYy DEC/ULTIRX/X

asente@adobe.com (Paul Asente) (02/14/91)

In article <190*diane@drao.nrc.ca> diane@drao.nrc.ca (Diane Parchomchuk) writes:
>Are X intrinsic routines and structures from X written to be robust enough
>to adhere to the RISC architecture requirements?

Yes.  I'm not so sure about Motif however; 1.0 at least tends to spray
"Fixing unaligned accesses" all over the place.

	-paul asente
		asente@adobe.com	...decwrl!adobe!asente

diane@drao.nrc.ca (Diane Parchomchuk) (02/14/91)

Because of my limited knowledge of C/RISC the ordering of parameters was
explained to me locally as one of sizing, obviously from comments on the net
this was not correct interpretation of the problem, alignment is *different*.

Its just that (whine) us poor individuals who have learned C on UN-RISCY
machines are not aware of this situation (end of whine).

Are X intrinsic routines and structures from X written to be robust enough
to adhere to the RISC architecture requirements?

To be fair to the Decspurts they exactly explained the situation in terms of
alignment -- I however don't know why compilers can't deal with this
correctly so any alignment problem may cause inefficiency but at least work.

Is this part of Ansii C?

Diane

dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) (02/14/91)

asente@adobe.com (Paul Asente) writes:
|> In article <190*diane@drao.nrc.ca> diane@drao.nrc.ca (Diane Parchomchuk) writes:
|> >Are X intrinsic routines and structures from X written to be robust enough
|> >to adhere to the RISC architecture requirements?
|>
|> Yes.  I'm not so sure about Motif however; 1.0 at least tends to spray
|> "Fixing unaligned accesses" all over the place.

Ahem.  Turned out to be a bug in the Ultrix regular expression
routines (regcmp or regex; I forget which).  Said bug was fixed in
Ultrix 4.0 (if you don't have that, rebuild to use re_comp and re_exec
instead).
--
David Brooks				dbrooks@osf.org
Systems Engineering, OSF		uunet!osf.org!dbrooks