[comp.windows.x] Maximum number of clients?

malis@bbn.com (Andy Malis) (02/12/91)

On my Sun 3/50 (SunOS 3.5), when using X11R4, if I attempt to
open more than 19 clients (including twm as a client), the 20th
client prints the following message:

Xlib:  connection to "unix:0.0" refused by server
Xlib:  Maximum number of clients reached
Error: Can't Open display

and quits.  If this happens when using "xon", of course I don't
see any message at all from the remote client; just nothing
happens on the screen in response to the xon command.

Is this a compiled-in limit of the server?  Can it be changed via
a resource?

Thanks for any help.

Andy Malis <malis@bbn.com>    UUCP: {harvard,rutgers,uunet}!bbn!malis

malis@bbn.com (Andy Malis) (02/15/91)

In article <62677@bbn.BBN.COM>, malis@bbn.com (Andy Malis) writes:

> On my Sun 3/50 (SunOS 3.5), when using X11R4, if I attempt to
> open more than 19 clients (including twm as a client), the 20th
> client prints the following message:
>
> Xlib:  connection to "unix:0.0" refused by server
> Xlib:  Maximum number of clients reached
> Error: Can't Open display
>
> and quits.

I received a number of replies.  This is due to a SunOS 3.5
limitation of 32 simultaneous open file descriptors per process.
This limit has been increased to 256 in SunOS 4.1.

We will be upgrading to 4.1.1 as soon as our additional memory
for our 3/50s gets installed.

Thanks to all who answered.

Andy Malis <malis@bbn.com>    UUCP: {harvard,rutgers,uunet}!bbn!malis