[comp.windows.x] The X library for Turbo C

martin@saturn.uucp (Martin J. Schedlbauer) (02/04/91)

In article <1991Feb2.142742.4732@cec1.wustl.edu> ejl7803@cec1.wustl.edu (Edward J Lorden) writes:
>I am looking for the xlib to run on an IBM AT compatible in a stand alone
>mode.  That is I want to be able to compile, link and run X Window standard
>programs on my PC without having to connect to a Unix system or have to boot
>Unix on my PC.  I am now taking a graphics class and would like to stay at
>home to get the assignments finished.  I have Turbo C++ with MS-DOS 4.01.

Heh, Heh, wouldn't many of us. Not possible right now, but Quarterdeck
Office Systems (the makers of Desqview) are about to ship such a beastie.
A full implementation of X11, Motif, OpenLook, Athena widgets under native
16bit or 32bit DOS (on a 386 of course). It even works remotely over ethernet
lines with other Desqview/X or real X servers.

I was at their product announcement at Xhibition '90 last May and I was
truly impressed with the speed and the potential (DOS programs still run
in "xterms" and can even be displayed remotely).

Call them for a informational booklet. You'll find their address and their
booklet (maybe) in any DOS or Unix magazine.

	...Martin

Martin J. Schedlbauer	| martin@saturn.UUCP	| ...!ulowell!saturn!martin
8 Gilman Road		| mschedlb@ulowell.edu	| ...!uunet!wang!saturn!martin
Billerica, MA 01862 USA	| CIS: 76675, 3364	| /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

sl244010@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (daniel friedman) (02/17/91)

You might try "PC-Xview" marketed by UNiMARKET.
It will turn you PC into an X Window terminal.
I'm not sure if it will work though, I haven't tried
myself, it might be slow on 2400 baud though.

Here's the number of the company who sells the
product: 1-800-222-0550.  Cost is about $300.