[comp.windows.x] xclock with timezone control

kgg@zinn.MV.COM (Kenn Goutal) (02/02/91)

I'm looking for a version of xclock for which I can specify a timezone.
The general intent is that I'd like a row of clocks across the bottom
of my screen, each showing the time in a different timezone, perhaps
showing a name of the zone or a key city or whatever.  I work on a
hotline and regularly talk to people in several timezones.

-- Kenn Goutal

CompuServe:	71117.2572		(PARTI handle: kenn)
Internet:	kenn@zinn.MV.COM   or	kenn@rr.MV.COM
[The] PO!NT:	kenn
UUCP:		...decvax!zinn!kenn  or	...decvax!zinn!rr!kenn

|  Ship and Travel Intermodally -- Commute Electronically!  |

baileyd@hpcc01.HP.COM (Dirk Bailey) (02/15/91)

/ hpcc01:comp.windows.x / kgg@zinn.MV.COM (Kenn Goutal) / 10:16 pm  Feb  1, 1991 /

----------

>>KENN -

I am also looking for xclock for various time zones - I'll be asking
around here and I'll post if I hear something. Keeping my eyes open on
this notes file too.

Dirk Bailey - Hewlett-Packard

adh@doc.ic.ac.uk (Adam Hebblewhite) (02/20/91)

In article <2750001@hpcc01.HP.COM> baileyd@hpcc01.HP.COM (Dirk Bailey) writes:

> I am also looking for xclock for various time zones - I'll be asking
> around here and I'll post if I hear something. Keeping my eyes open on>
> this notes file too.

> Dirk Bailey - Hewlett-Packard

There is a program called xchono which does what you want, you can
find it in volume6 of comp.sources.x

I hope this is helpful.

Adam
--
Adam Hebblewhite			 adh@doc.ic.ac.uk
Department of Computing, Imperial College, London SW7 2BZ

baileyd@hpcc01.HP.COM (Dirk Bailey) (02/20/91)

Thanks to all who have read this posting and answered! I got exactly what I
needed from multiple sources. All of it came by e-mail. Example:

#! /bin/sh
TZ=PST8PDT
export TZ
xclock -geometry 100x100+3+0 -name PST 2> /dev/null &
sleep 1
TZ=MST7MDT
export TZ
xclock -geometry 100x100+130+0 -name MST 2> /dev/null &
sleep 1
TZ=CST6CDT
export TZ
xclock -geometry 100x100+257+0 -name CST 2> /dev/null &
sleep 1
TZ=EST5EDT
export TZ
xclock -geometry 100x100+384+0 -name EST 2> /dev/null &

To get labels, I can use the -title flag on xclock as long as I have
MWM*XClock*ClientDecorations +title in .Xdefaults. This is necessary at
my site because title is turned off in our default X environment.

Anyway, thanks for the help... Dirk Bailey (baileyd@hpcc29.corp.hp.com)