[comp.windows.x] XGKS Metafile Output difficulties

mikeg@dali.gatech.edu (Mike Gourlay) (02/21/91)

Hello,

	I built xgks on my HPUX 7.0 under X11R4.
and it seems to work fine.  The demos that came
with it work mostly, but none produce a metafile.
One reads one, but there is no way for me to test
it.

	Does anyone have some code I could see
as an example for outputting GKS Metafiles using
xgks in either or both the C and Fortran bindings.

	I have a program written in fortran that
uses GKS to display some stuff used for radar
cross sections.  The code works, and xgks gives a
picture of the object, but I want to get an output
file so that I can make plots to a laser printer
or plotter (HPGL if that helps).  I don't know
if this is right or not, but I also have gplot,
which takes in CGM files and outputs X or PostScript,
or other formats like tektronix).  Is CGM the
format GKS uses?  If not, then how do I make
plots of GKS pictures with xgks + some tool?
What is the "some tool"?

	Thanks,
	Mike Gourlay
	mike@penguin.gatech.edu

aaron@backyard.bae.bellcore.com (Aaron Akman) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb20.134612@dali.gatech.edu>, mikeg@dali.gatech.edu (Mike Gourlay) writes:

> 	I built xgks on my HPUX 7.0 under X11R4.
> and it seems to work fine.  The demos that came
> with it work mostly, but none produce a metafile.
> One reads one, but there is no way for me to test
> it.

Where can I get an X GKS implementation?  I downloaded something,
xgks.blah.tar.Z, but it wouldn't compile because it couldn't find
xgks.h.  Also, it was really small...so it seems unlikely it was a
GKS implementation.  I think it was just an example of opening a GKS
session?

___________________________
Aaron Akman
aaron@backyard.bellcore.com
908-699-8019

Trevor.Kirby@newcastle.ac.uk (Trevor Kirby) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb20.202136.14291@bellcore.bellcore.com>, >>

>Where can I get an X GKS implementation?  I downloaded something,
>xgks.blah.tar.Z, but it wouldn't compile because it couldn't find
>xgks.h.  Also, it was really small...so it seems unlikely it was a
>GKS implementation.  I think it was just an example of opening a GKS
>session?

xgks comes with X11R4. It lives in contrib/toolkits. The latest version
can be pulled from unidata.ucar.edu [128.117.140.3] via anonymous FTP.
The file name is pub/xgks.tar.Z.

There is also a xgks mailing list. To subscribe contact :-

		 xgks-request@unidata.ucar.edu

Finally a xgks widget has been written by Neil Bowers. I can't remember
where he uploaded it to but his mail address is neilb@dcs.leeds.ac.uk

Hope this helps

 Trev