[comp.windows.x] PEX and X-terminals - out of luck ?

mike@ap542.uucp (Mike Hoffmann) (02/21/91)

I got the UIPEX system via anon ftp, and planned to port it on our system.
Unfortunatly, it looks like your out of luck if you use X-terminals for
which I don't have server sources.

What work-arounds can be found? Is there any way to get a PHIGS library
working, that only uses a standard server as supplied by manufacturers
of X-terms?

Even worse, these terminals still use an 11.3 server :-(
Management decision...

Mike
--
Mike Hoffmann, Siemens-Nixdorf AG, SNI AP 712
UUCP: mike@ap542.uucp | INTERNET: mike%ap542@ztivax.siemens.com

pmartz@undies.dsd.es.com (Paul Martz) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb21.131212.18658@ap542.uucp>, mike@ap542.uucp (Mike Hoffmann) writes:
> I got the UIPEX system via anon ftp, and planned to port it on our system.
> Unfortunatly, it looks like your out of luck if you use X-terminals for
> which I don't have server sources.
>
> What work-arounds can be found? Is there any way to get a PHIGS library
> working, that only uses a standard server as supplied by manufacturers
> of X-terms?
>
> Even worse, these terminals still use an 11.3 server :-(
> Management decision...
>
> Mike
> --
> Mike Hoffmann, Siemens-Nixdorf AG, SNI AP 712
> UUCP: mike@ap542.uucp | INTERNET: mike%ap542@ztivax.siemens.com
> "For the new year I resolved, not to be offended by human nature.
> But I think I blew it already." (Hobbes)

Since PEX adds its own protocol to that of X, yes, you're X Terminal
won't be able to handle PEX requests unless it has been upgraded to
understand the PEX protocol. There's no way to take a stock X-only
server executable and get it to understand PEX protocol. At the very
least you'd need the libraries that build the executable, plue the PEX
libraries, and you'd also need to alter the source of one dix-level
function to make it cognizant of the extension.

I understand a startup called ShoGraphics in Mtn View is working on
PEX-cognizant terminals, and there is a rumor that NCD is planning to
do likewise. But until companies start providing these machines, your
only recourse is to get hold of the X SI and some workstation, and
build your own server (I believe that's what UI had in mind). Of
course many companies are already providing an X/PEX server with their
workstations (yes, that's a plug for Evans & Sutherland, as well as
several other companies, such as DEC).

Also note that with X11R5, there will be an official release of PEX by
MIT. Not to put down the UI implementation, but to my knowledge, MIT
had nothing to do with it...
--

   -paul	pmartz@dsd.es.com