[net.news] Article with the most interesting path

jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) (10/22/85)

I was examining news articles for length of path and came across an
interesting one.  It follows the typical cross country path to get next
door.  Amazingly all this cross country hopping only took 3 days.  Not
bad except for the extra phone charges.

I won't even try to figure out that %.@ junk on the end of the path.  I
will also leave it to someone else to figure out how the sender is
brl-tgr when it didn't get there until 7 sites later.

The interesting thing is the uucp path.  It starts out in OR, hops
across the country thru UT, MD, VA, MA, NJ, IL, NY, and then cross
country back to WA, back to OR, and then more reasonably down to CA.
One could find several points of optimization in this path and, no
doubt, recommend several new connections.

The most obvious though is athena->tektronix.  This article took 21
hops, across country and back, to reach a site in the same state, the
same city, and the same company.  Hell, they are even in the same
division of Tektronix.

Please, someone tell me that the path has been munged and that it really
didn't take that many hops to get here!

Extract of article follows:

> From: PA@BRL.ARPA>
> Newsgroups: net.unix-wizards
> Subject: Serial line problems on Sun
> Date: 4 Oct 85 06:30:32 GMT
> Sender: news@brl-tgr.ARPA

Path site locations taken from mod.map data:

	svc%utah-gr.UTAH-CS.ARPA.ARPA@BRL.ARPA ??
	athena		Beaverton, OR
	iti		??
	admin		??
	utah-cs		Salt Lake City, UT
	tgr		??
	brl-tgr		MD
	seismo		Arlington, VA
	harvard		Cambridge, MA
	talcott		Cambridge, MA
	panda		Concord, MA
	genrad		Bolton, MA
	mit-eddie	Cambridge, MA
	allegra		Murray Hill, NJ
	ulysses		Murray Hill, NJ
	mhuxr		Murray Hill, NJ
	mhuxn		Murray Hill, NJ
	ihnp4		Naperville, IL
	houxm		Holmdel, NJ
	vax135		Holmdel, NJ
	cornell		Ithaca, NY
	uw-beaver	Seattle, WA
	tektronix	Beaverton, OR
	hplabs		Palo Alto, CA
	oliveb		Cupertino, CA

					Jerry Aguirre @ Olivetti ATC
{hplabs|fortune|idi|ihnp4|tolerant|allegra|tymix|olhqma}!oliveb!jerry

davest@lumiere.UUCP (Dave Stewart) (10/23/85)

In article <626@oliveb.UUCP> jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) writes:
>I was examining news articles for length of path and came across an
>interesting one.
>The most obvious though is athena->tektronix.  This article took 21
>hops, across country and back, to reach a site in the same state, the
>same city, and the same company.  Hell, they are even in the same
>division of Tektronix.

	The athena here at Tek has no modems and is only connected
to Usenet via ethernet to other Tek machines.  I didn't think there
were two athena's, but it looks like somebody took the name without
consulting with the UUCP name registry - grr!  Anyway, this should
reduce the article's distance somewhat.

Former news admin for Tektronix -
--
David C. Stewart                          uucp:    tektronix!davest
Small Systems Support Group               csnet:   davest@TEKTRONIX

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (10/23/85)

The reason that path is weird is that the athena is NOT the athena
at tektroinix, but an invalid duplicate in utah. The message
was mailed to the arpanet unix-wizards mailing list and then
made it to usenet through brl-tgr!seismo

---rick

jss@sjuvax.UUCP (J. Shapiro) (10/30/85)

> I was examining news articles for length of path and came across an
> interesting one.  It follows the typical cross country path to get next
> door.  Amazingly all this cross country hopping only took 3 days.  Not
> bad except for the extra phone charges.
>
> The interesting thing is the uucp path.  It starts out in OR, hops
> across the country thru UT, MD, VA, MA, NJ, IL, NY, and then cross
> country back to WA, back to OR, and then more reasonably down to CA.

Personally, I suspect that a lot of the cost of netnews occurs in just
this fashion.  Network links are cheap, but telephone lines aren't.  I
suspect that if we could get together a database of the kinds of links
people have and the BellTel Cost/Kilobyte, along with phone numbers
called, I suspect that we would find that there are a lot of duplicate
routings (which is not necessarily bad), but more important, we would
find that we could trivially encourage local sites to transmit to each
other.  The case above is a good case in point.

Since most of the billing seems to be by phone, it seems logical to
encourage that news travel over the most local connections.  One of
the original reasons for IHAVE/SENDME was that you could set up a
primary feed, compile an IHAVE list, ship it to a secondary feed site,
and get them to ship you whatever you didn't already have.  While the
three call cost is high if there is only a little news, it is well
worth it if we can save 2 hours at the cost of two short calls.

In short, I think it would make a lot of sense to reorganize the net
propagation in accordance with phone area code and exchange.  Does it
seem likely that people would be willing to do this, and if so, is it
worth my effort?  I suspect that we would find that in an awful lot
of cases, the long distance stuff could be made to run over already
existing internal networks which are not nearly saturated.  This would
take a load off of some of the backbone sites in terms of phone cost,
and would probably speed up overall propagation, because many more
sites would be willing to call on demand.  It would also make a lot of
billing people happy.  Last and best of all, it would make Ma Bell
very Unhappy -);

I am willing to try to write a script to compile this information from
the existing net map files, but it seems to me that in many cases
people have not given machine phone numbers, and therefore correlation
by phone area code and exchange will be very difficult

Can anybody think up a reasonable way of encourageing people to agree
to trying this?

Mail connections should be left alone, as companies have individual
reasons for doing this.

Jon Shapiro
Haverford College
--
Jonathan S. Shapiro
Haverford College

	"It doesn't compile pseudo code... What do you expect for fifty
		dollars?" - M. Tiemann

In article <2489@sjuvax.UUCP> jss@sjuvax.UUCP (J. Shapiro) writes:

>I am willing to try to write a script to compile this information from
>the existing net map files, but it seems to me that in many cases
>people have not given machine phone numbers, and therefore correlation
>by phone area code and exchange will be very difficult
>
>Can anybody think up a reasonable way of encourageing people to agree
>to trying this?

	well, first why not go ahead and put together that script and
simply fudge the cases where there is no phone number, perhaps group
them by state only? Then post at least a summary of the more important
results and suggestions this produces as well as posting the script to
mod.sources.
	I was going to do something like this by hand in my spare
time, but a script would be better.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa

sewilco@mecc.UUCP (Scot E. Wilcoxon) (11/07/85)

In article <2489@sjuvax.UUCP> jss@sjuvax.UUCP (J. Shapiro) writes:
>> The interesting thing is the uucp path.  It starts out in OR, hops
>> across the country thru UT, MD, VA, MA, NJ, IL, NY, and then cross
>> country back to WA, back to OR, and then more reasonably down to CA.
>
>Personally, I suspect that a lot of the cost of netnews occurs in just
>this fashion.  Network links are cheap, but telephone lines aren't.  I

Don't confuse overall cost of an article with the cost to each site of
passing the article on to the next site.  Each site pays only for its
calls to its immediate neighbors.

>... , we would
>find that we could trivially encourage local sites to transmit to each
>other.  The case above is a good case in point.

Don't need a giant database.  Talk to the news coordinators at your
neighboring sites and you can coordinate your regional/city net.  We're
doing it here in MN.  If you don't have a statewide or citywide
distribution yet, set one up with your neighbors.  Remember also that
the net is a social creation, and its humans are as important as its
computers.

>(explanation of IHAVE/SENDME)

>of cases, the long distance stuff could be made to run over already
>existing internal networks which are not nearly saturated.  This would

Some of those long distance hops might well have been over internal
networks.  We can't even know how many computers are sharing one
external name, much less which are dialing through what phone/intercom
circuits.

Further assumptions are left as an exercise to the reader.
Further complications will become apparent in later issues of "Dear Networld:"
--

Scot E. Wilcoxon  Minn. Ed. Comp. Corp.         circadia!mecc!sewilco
45 03 N / 93 15 W   (612)481-3507 {ihnp4,mgnetp}!dicomed!mecc!sewilco