[comp.windows.x] HP-UX and X

us269574@mmm.serc.3m.com (Darryn J. Kozak) (02/21/91)

I am posting this for a friend. He is having the following problem:

When any user is logged into the system console and is using X
Windows, only root can log into the modem port. Other attempted
log-ins receive the message "Sorry, maximum number of users already
logged in." The problem does not exist when X Windows is not running.

Hardware: HP 9000/340, 8 MB Memory, 161 MB hard disk (SCSI), 40 MB
swap space.

Software: HP-UX 6.5 A, X Window System Version 11

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

	Thanks,

        Darryn Kozak

        3M Center
        260-4A-08
        St. Paul, MN 55144

        phone:          612-733-3271
        email:          us269574@mmm.3m.com or kozak@umn-cs.edu
        FAX:            612-737-3213

ianhogg@cs.umn.edu (Ian J. Hogg) (02/23/91)

In article <1991Feb20.192400.4688@mmm.serc.3m.com> us269574@mmm.serc.3m.com (Darryn J. Kozak) writes:
>I am posting this for a friend. He is having the following problem:
>
>When any user is logged into the system console and is using X
>Windows, only root can log into the modem port. Other attempted
>log-ins receive the message "Sorry, maximum number of users already
>logged in." The problem does not exist when X Windows is not running.
>

>Hardware: HP 9000/340, 8 MB Memory, 161 MB hard disk (SCSI), 40 MB
>swap space.
>
>Software: HP-UX 6.5 A, X Window System Version 11
>

>Any suggestions would be appreciated...
>
>	Thanks,
>
>        Darryn Kozak
>
>        3M Center
>        260-4A-08
>        St. Paul, MN 55144
>
>        phone:          612-733-3271
>        email:          us269574@mmm.3m.com or kozak@umn-cs.edu
>        FAX:            612-737-3213

HP has a problem with login that causes a single user to use up both logins
allowed by your two user license.  When I was using xdm I could get as many logins as I wanted since it never wrote the utmp file.  When I switched to VUE I got
the same problem you have.  Anyways I wrotew a program to twiddle witht the
utmp file.  HP later gave me a patch for login, don't know if it will work on
6.5.  Give your local HP support people a call (looks like Scott Hippe for you).

Ian Hogg						ianhogg@cs.umn.edu
                                                        (612) 225-1401