[comp.windows.x] Porting an MIT X11R4 Application to DECWindows

a38@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (James Barr) (01/24/91)

Hi,

I am trying to compile an MIT X11R4 based application on a DECStation 3100
I have the basic X stuff and the unsupported extensions but seem to be
missing a few things, such as the simple menu widget class.  In addition
the Xaw includes are in not where I expected.  In fact it looks a bit like
the R3 distribution.

Could someone tell me what the state of DECWindows is and how it relates to
the mit stuff.  How do I get around the problem?

Thanks,
James
--
James Barr                                        ...............       ......
+31 20-592-5104                                   ...........       ..........

dwight@geohub.gcn.uoknor.edu (Dwight D. Moore) (01/28/91)

That is because DECWindows is currently R3...unless you have their MOTIF stuff
(which it sounds
like you don't)...they are working on the next DECWindows release which will
support R4.

                                Dwight D. Moore
                         Geosciences Computing Network
                            University of Oklahoma

                  dwight@geohub.gcn.uoknor.edu (129.15.40.10)

taylort@decus.com.au (Trevor Taylor) (02/24/91)

In article <1130@nikhefh.nikhef.nl>, a38@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (James Barr) writes:
> I am trying to compile an MIT X11R4 based application on a DECStation 3100
> I have the basic X stuff and the unsupported extensions but seem to be
> missing a few things, such as the simple menu widget class.  In addition
> the Xaw includes are in not where I expected.  In fact it looks a bit like
> the R3 distribution.
>
> Could someone tell me what the state of DECWindows is and how it relates to
> the mit stuff.  How do I get around the problem?

I know this came through a month ago, but it did not receive
a detailed response and I have more to say ...

DECwindows on VMS does not include the standard MIT clients nor
the Athena (Xaw) widgets. It is not likely to in the foreseeable
future either.

Currently DECwindows is only R3, and you may have significant
problems porting R4 code -- missing routines, stuff like that :-)
(There are no protocol differences, but Xlib has changed.)

The next version of DECwindows will be R4 compliant. As I was
the one who ported the R3 clients and Athena widgets for the
DECUS Library, it seems to have fallen on me to port the R4
code (again!). Hopefully, I will be able to make this available
very soon after DECwindows V3 ships, and maybe even get the
changes incorporated into R5. (Hint, hint) Meanwhile, there is
not much you can do.

	Trevor

/*    Trevor Taylor               E-Mail: TaylorT@decus.com.au        */
/*    P.O. Box 155                        T.Taylor@praxa.com.au       */
/*    Aspley 4034                 Phone:  +(61) 7 369-8100            */
/*    Australia                   Fax:    +(61) 7 369-0722            */