[net.news] Missing news in the new "mod" groups

kre@munnari.OZ (Robert Elz) (11/06/85)

There are problems with the format of articles being posted
to the new "mod" groups.  (Those that replaced the old "fa"
groups).

Erik has set things up so that the "Path" line has a reasonable
chance of being a valid mail address of the poster of the
article (so a news "r" command has a pretty good chance of
getting to the person who sent the article, just like news in
the "net" groups).

That's a semi-admirable thing to have attempted to do - I'm not
convinced its really right - the Path line is NOT meant to
be used as a mail address, its a list of sites that have
received this news item, and hence, to which it need not be sent
again.

By now, some of you might have detected the problem.  If you
have been reading "mod.computers.sequent" you will have seen
John Quarterman's attempts to post to that group.  In fact,
everybody should have seen them except John (and others at im4u).
This explains the slightly strange nature of those postings.

The problem is that Berkeley is supplying a Path line that
begins

which is a good mail address to return mail to John.  But the
news code sees that, and says "Aha - this news has been to
im4u already, I don't need to send it there", and it doesn't!
Naturally, any sites that im4u feeds will also miss the news.

This is likely to happen to any news sent to one of these
groups.  That is, you are never likely to see your own
postings (unless the "news" name of your system is different
from its standard "mail" name).  Postings from uucp sites
may be affected worse - I haven't noticed one yet to check.
Here, its possible that your uucp neighbours (on the way
to the arpa gateway) may also not see the posting.  If this
does happen, then large parts of usenet may miss it.

I have reported this problem (via mail) to Erik, I expect
that some means will be found to correct the problem.
Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) this will most likely
mean breaking mail to the Path line, and returning it to
its proper use as a list of usenet sites that have seen
the article.

Robert Elz	..!seismo!munnari!kre  kre%munnari.oz@seismo.css.gov

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (11/06/85)

In article <1001@munnari.OZ> kre@munnari.OZ (Robert Elz) writes:
>Erik has set things up so that the "Path" line has a reasonable
>chance of being a valid mail address of the poster of the
>article (so a news "r" command has a pretty good chance of
>getting to the person who sent the article, just like news in
>the "net" groups).

This is really broken. That's what the Reply-To line is for.
(is Reply-To only in "rn" or is it 2.10.3?)
--
 The California Lottery may be a tax on the stupid, but at least
 some of the proceeds are used for education.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (11/08/85)

I have to agree.  "Path" is not a reply address, even if
it does save the problem of having garbage show up on
the lap of usenet@ucbarpa (no small concern for eric.

That's what "Reply-to" is for.  Last time I checked, the 2.10.2
knows this.

This glitch puts things in the odd situation that the author
will NEVER see his own article because, of course, it has
already "been" to his machine.
--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037

jsq@im4u.UUCP (John Quarterman) (11/10/85)

In article <179@gould9.UUCP> joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) writes:
>I have to agree.  "Path" is not a reply address, even if
>it does save the problem of having garbage show up on
>the lap of usenet@ucbarpa (no small concern for eric.
>
>That's what "Reply-to" is for.  Last time I checked, the 2.10.2
>knows this.

Reply-To is a valid RFC822 mail header.  It's not clear that it's
part of the news article spec.  What is clear from my attempts to
use it as you suggest in mod.std.unix is that there are *many*
hosts on USENET which do not recognize it.  Also, many machines
which receive USENET newsgroups are not even on USENET; they
get the articles by mail over DEC's Easynet.  So we have both
simple-minded UNIX mailers and DECNET-style VMS mailers which
know nothing of Reply-To.  This situation cannot be expected
to change soon, either, since there is a large camp who believe
that RFC822 is incredibly baroque, non-UNIX, and inappropriate
for the UUCP mail network.  (I think they're wrong, but that
won't change their minds.)

To avoid the problem with mod.computers.sequent which Robert
described, I have taken to posting articles directly from im4u
instead of mailing them to ucbvax to be posted there.  This way,
im4u still appears in the Path, but the article really has been
to im4u, just like for any other article posted from im4u.

Also, I use a trick which I've found useful in mod.std.unix to
separate submissions to the newsgroup from personal mail to me.
I set environment variables which inews recognizes so that not
jsq but rather info-sequent-request appears in the Path, like this:

Robert and others point out that use of the Path for replies is
a dubious practice.  But at least this way rn can pick out
im4u!info-sequent-request and let the local host route replies.

An up to date moderators file in the news library is also a good thing.
--
John Quarterman,   UUCP:  {ihnp4,seismo,harvard,gatech}!ut-sally!im4u!jsq
ARPA Internet and CSNET:  jsq@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU, formerly jsq@im4u.ARPA

kre@munnari.OZ (Robert Elz) (11/11/85)

Munnari received the following article in mod.telecom a few minutes
ago, I'd be willing to bet that a reasonable fraction of the net
will never see it ...

(I have deleted immaterial header lines, and the text, in the
interests of brevity)

> From: ihnp4!kitty!larry@UCBVAX
> Newsgroups: mod.telecom
> Date: 9 Nov 85 21:55:47 GMT
> Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Notice - the article was sent to the telecom mailing list
from the address on the "From" line.  From whichever site
actually maintains the list, it was sent to Berkeley to be
gatewayed to mod.telecom (the fact that the mail item happened
to be routed to the arpa list via ucbvax is irrelevant).

Now look at the "Path" line.  That claims that the article
arrived at ucbvax from ihnp4 - so this article will never
be sent there.  Anyone who gets news from ihnp4 (probably
a few sites there!) is going to miss this one completely.
Of course, the poster's site (kitty) is going to miss it
in any case, even if they have a news feed other than
from ihnp4.

Erik: this MUST be fixed.  John's solution (in <1@im4u.UUCP>)
looks to be the best that is possible (that is, send replies
to the "request" mailbox of the list maintainer).

Robert Elz	...!seismo!munnari!kre  kre%munnari.oz@seismo.css.gov

rees@apollo.uucp (Jim Rees) (11/11/85)

I don't mind breaking news systems that generate replies by sending
to the Path:.  These systems are the scourge of the net and should
be exterminated like rats.