[comp.windows.x] Req for "tiff to xwd" conversion filter

khasin@canstar.UUCP (Kha Sin Teow) (02/27/91)

This is a request for a utility to convert a TIFF file (generated from
a ScanJet on a PC) into an XWD format so that it may be use with the X
environment on an HP9000.
The resulting image file may also be used by a Starbase or BASIC/UX application.
Any pointer (public domain or commercial product) will be appreciated.

Please e-mail any comment or response to:
	khasin@canstar.com

as I have no access to the USENET at present.

Robert File
Canstar Communication
North York
Ontario.

don@zardoz.coral.COM (Don Dewar) (02/27/91)

) Date: 26 Feb 91 16:26:22 GMT
) From: uunet!bloom-beacon.mit.edu!canstar!khasin (Kha Sin Teow)
) Subject: Req for "tiff to xwd" conversion filter
) Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
) Sender: uunet!expo.lcs.mit.edu!xpert-request
) To: xpert@expo.lcs.mit.edu
)
)
) This is a request for a utility to convert a TIFF file (generated from
) a ScanJet on a PC) into an XWD format so that it may be use with the X
) environment on an HP9000.
) The resulting image file may also be used by a Starbase or BASIC/UX application.
) Any pointer (public domain or commercial product) will be appreciated.
)
) Please e-mail any comment or response to:
) 	khasin@canstar.com
)
) as I have no access to the USENET at present.
)
)
) Robert File
) Canstar Communication
) North York
) Ontario.
)
)

I have been using a combination of the tiff 2.2 package with pbmplus
to do this (I got them on the UUNET archives).  You should be able to
do...

tif2ras | rasttoppm | ppmtogif > giffile

Now you can use xv, or xgif, or xloadimage (rev 2) to display the
image in an xwindow and if you want get a x dump of it.

  +---------+
  | Coral   |
  |@@@@@*@**|
  |@@*@@**@@|     Don Dewar
  |*@@**@@@@|     Coral Network Corporation, Marlborough, MA
  |@***@@@@@|     Internet: don@coral.com
  |@@**@@@@@|     Phone:    (508) 460-6010
  |*********|     Fax:      (508) 481-6258
  |Networks |
  +---------+

dob@inel.GOV (Dave Brooks) (02/28/91)

   From: don@zardoz.coral.COM (Don Dewar)
   Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
   Date: 27 Feb 91 12:18:45 GMT

   )
   ) This is a request for a utility to convert a TIFF file (generated from
   ) a ScanJet on a PC) into an XWD format so that it may be use with the X
   ) environment on an HP9000.
   ) The resulting image file may also be used by a Starbase or BASIC/UX application.
   ) Any pointer (public domain or commercial product) will be appreciated.
   )
[stuff deleted]

   I have been using a combination of the tiff 2.2 package with pbmplus
   to do this (I got them on the UUNET archives).  You should be able to
   do...

   tif2ras | rasttoppm | ppmtogif > giffile

   Now you can use xv, or xgif, or xloadimage (rev 2) to display the
   image in an xwindow and if you want get a x dump of it.

     +---------+
     | Coral   |
     |@@@@@*@**|
     |@@*@@**@@|     Don Dewar
     |*@@**@@@@|     Coral Network Corporation, Marlborough, MA
     |@***@@@@@|     Internet: don@coral.com
     |@@**@@@@@|     Phone:    (508) 460-6010
     |*********|     Fax:      (508) 481-6258
     |Networks |
     +---------+

the new version of pbmplus, on expo.lcs.mit.edu, includes tiff conversion
(read and write).

now, a question: has anyone had any success at generating a tiff file,
using any Unix utility, that can be read by the PC packages FreeLance or
Mirage?

thanks, folks :-)

dlb
David L. Brooks
Idaho National Engineering Lab.  INTERNET: dob@INEL.GOV
POB 1625 MS 2603                 Phone: (208) 526-0826
Idaho Falls, Id. 83415		 FAX:   (208) 526-9936