[comp.windows.x] Looking for Color Printer

greer@sunland.gsfc.nasa.gov (Greg Greer) (02/26/91)

We are looking for a color printer to print window dumps from standard
X11R4 running on Sun workstations (3/60s and Sparc 2s).

We've seen a Mitsubishi, but it can only do SunView or full frame
buffer dumps.  We've also seen a really nice Tektronix printer, but
the pure X-dump software isn't available yet -- it'll to OpenWindows
or SunView, though (big deal!).  Neither could be demonstrated to work
on our system.  (Tek also has a postscript model, and we could use
xwd2ps to translate, maybe, but this is a slow process, etc.)

Is anybody out there using any color printers to print standard X11R4
windows on Sun systems?  On any systems?  Please, let us know.  By the
way, we'd greatly prefer an Ethernet or SCSI interface.

Thanks,
Greg
Gregory G. Greer (301) 286-5999		  |  under contract to:
August Automation, Software Developers    |  Code 743
8781 Oxwell Lane, Laurel, Maryland 20781  |  NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
(301) 470-4020				  |  Greenbelt, Maryland 20771

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (02/28/91)

In article <GREER.91Feb25154547@sunland.gsfc.nasa.gov> greer@sunland.gsfc.nasa.gov (Greg Greer) writes:
>We are looking for a color printer to print window dumps from standard
>X11R4 running on Sun workstations (3/60s and Sparc 2s).
>
>Is anybody out there using any color printers to print standard X11R4
>windows on Sun systems?  On any systems?  Please, let us know.  By the
>way, we'd greatly prefer an Ethernet or SCSI interface.

The Amiga workstation is able to dump xwd dumps to almost all types
of known printers.  In particular most of the available color printers
on the market are supported by the builtin Amiga software. This includes
the Tek color printers as well as HP, Xerox, Seiko, Howtek Pixelmaster,
Calcomb colormaster, etc.

All you need is ethernet/tcpip/nfs/X11 for the Amiga (All available).

Connect it up and you have a print server for X Windows that can drive
just about any parallel or serial printer available on the market today.

--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale