[comp.windows.x] xman on AIX

agw@cs.columbia.edu (Art Werschulz) (02/28/91)

Hi.

Having setenv MANPATH to be /usr/local/man:/usr/man, I have found that
xman can only find the local stuff.  This is because the man pages for
AIX on a RISC600 are on a CD.  (The usual man directories /usr/man are
provided, but are empty.)

Has anybody figured out how to get xman to find the CD man pages?

Thanks.

--
      Art Werschulz
      InterNet:  agw@cs.columbia.edu

david@ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com (03/01/91)

In article <AGW.91Feb28095126@cs.cs.columbia.edu> agw@cs.columbia.edu writes:
>Having setenv MANPATH to be /usr/local/man:/usr/man, I have found that
>xman can only find the local stuff.  This is because the man pages for
>AIX on a RISC600 are on a CD.  (The usual man directories /usr/man are
>provided, but are empty.)

There are no ACTUAL man pages on the system. The man command has
been changed so that it will extract data from the hypertext
information library and do its best to present the information
in a man-like format.

man will also scan for actual man pages in the usual places if
it does not find any information in the hypertext library.

So I suppose xman would ONLY find stuff in MANPATH.

David Berkowitz  uunet!ibmsupt!david  (415) 855-4485 |
                                                     | Take off your shoes.
IBM Personal Systems Programming, Palo Alto          | for industry!
This does not represent an official IBM position.    |

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) (03/01/91)

In article <AGW.91Feb28095126@cs.cs.columbia.edu> agw@cs.columbia.edu writes:
>Having setenv MANPATH to be /usr/local/man:/usr/man, I have found that
>xman can only find the local stuff.  This is because the man pages for
>AIX on a RISC600 are on a CD.  (The usual man directories /usr/man are
>provided, but are empty.)
>
>Has anybody figured out how to get xman to find the CD man pages?

Not exactly sure why you would want to use xman except to have a
consistent interface. Anyway, take a look at the BSD administration
document in /usr/lpp/bos for information on how to generate the man
pages from the CD for use with xman or whatnot.

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +