[net.news] wanted enhancement to vnews programs

colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (10/24/85)

["I will gladly pay you today for Dutlaks with Shneeza on Tuesday"]

How about a visual news reader that displays about 10 subject lines
at once?  You can select one or more articles, or (pretty often!) say
you don't want any of them.

Does it exist?  If not, would some clever person mind writing one?
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

mopa@ur-tut.UUCP (Mike Opacity) (10/26/85)

I belive there is a program already around that does what you want.
It was called notes. It gave you a menu of subject lines and the
number of responses (if any). You got to choose which one you wanted
to read.

We had this program on our old machine, However I don't know where it
exists now or who has it. Hope it helped...
Mike Opacity
UUCP:    {allegra,seismo,decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!mopa
BITNET:  mopa@uorvm
USNAIL:  PO 28355 River Station, Rochester NY 14627

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (10/29/85)

You can use the '=' key in rn to get this. It can be customized
to show as many as you like (normally a screen-ful) and to show
what information you want (normally the Subject: line). One person
here (lsuc!msb) has set it up to show author, part of the Subject
line, and number of lines of each unread article.

Dave Sherman
--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave

spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) (10/29/85)

the "rn" news reader program does what you ask, and more.  I think
it provides a better user interface than "vnews" but that is just my
personal opinion.  I think it is better than notes, both from the
standpoint of options and interface, and from the point of view of
system administration -- it is totally compatible with existing
2.10.? news and installs with little fuss.
--
Gene "sometime in 1986" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (11/01/85)

In article <882@lsuc.UUCP> dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) writes:
>You can use the '=' key in rn to get this. It can be customized
>to show as many as you like (normally a screen-ful) and to show
>what information you want (normally the Subject: line). One person
>here (lsuc!msb) has set it up to show author, part of the Subject
>line, and number of lines of each unread article.

Please post the instructions on just how to do this!

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (11/04/85)

David Sherman (lsuc!dave) wrote:
> >You can use the '=' key in rn to get this. It can be customized
> >to show as many as you like (normally a screen-ful) and to show
> >what information you want (normally the Subject: line). One person
> >here (lsuc!msb) has set it up to show author, part of the Subject
> >line, and number of lines of each unread article.

And a couple of people have asked by news or mail how this is done.

Well, actually, dave wasn't quite right; you can only do part of this.
You use the environment variable SUBJLINE.  The manual says:

     SUBJLINE (%)
	     Controls the format of the	lines displayed	by the
	     '=' command at the	article	selection level.

	     Default: %s

Actually, I think the default is %[Subject], not %s.  The latter strips
the Re: field.

So if you want the number of lines and the subject, you define SUBJLINE
as "%[Lines] %s".  As usual, if you have an rninit file (see the manual)
and you don't want to put SUBJLINE in your environment, you could put
-ESUBJLINE="%[Lines] %s" in your rninit file.  Or if you want the unmodified
subject, use %[Subject] instead of %s.

Now, what you *can't* do is get *part* of the subject line.  *You* can't,
but *I* can, and that's what fooled dave.  I made some local modifications
to rn so that I could get field width limits into a %-format, and so that
I could get %f with the real name first and net address second (I called
this %w).  My SUBJLINE actually is: "%>-15<15w (%>3[Lines]) %<52[Subject]".
The closest you can come is "%f %[Lines] %[Subject]".

I'm not releasing the modifications.  I mailed them to Larry Wall,
but due to a mail glitch I didn't get his mail requesting a different
syntax until after I'd written it that way.  My modification is for my
use only, in the interests of keeping rn maintenance coordinated.
I only mentioned it because dave posted that item.

Oh: %[ takes some time to execute, because the file has to be reread.
I consider it worthwhile, because the lines still come up faster than I
can read them, unless the system is dragging.  On a busy machine you may
want to stay with the default.  Anyway, once you have one %[ in your
SUBJLINE, a second one is cheap.

If you don't have SUBJLINE, you have an old version of rn.
Mark Brader - lsuc!msb

"I'm a little worried about the bug-eater," she said.  "We're embedded
in bugs, have you noticed?"		-- Niven, "The Integral Trees"

per@erix.UUCP (Per Hedeland) (11/15/85)

In article <895@lsuc.UUCP> msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) writes:
>Now, what you *can't* do is get *part* of the subject line.  *You* can't,
>but *I* can, and that's what fooled dave.  I made some local modifications
>to rn so that I could get field width limits into a %-format, and so that
>I could get %f with the real name first and net address second (I called
>this %w).  My SUBJLINE actually is: "%>-15<15w (%>3[Lines]) %<52[Subject]".

*I* certainly can... Granted that I'm not 100% sure about your definition
of %w, or the interpretation of your syntax for field widths, if you want:

15 chars (left-justified) of 'fullname <address>' (or just 'address' if
fullname is missing), number of lines right-justified in three positions
inside (), and first 52 chars of the full subject line, to appear along
with the article number at the '=' command, just put this in your rninit
file (I sure don't recommend feeding it to csh :-)):

-ESUBJLINE="\
%(%(%f=(\\(..*\\))$?%1 <%t>:%t)               =^\\(...............\\)?%1) \
%1:%[subject])"

Although, as you won't see much of <address> when there is a fullname,
you might just as well take out the ' <%t>'.

>Oh: %[ takes some time to execute, because the file has to be reread.

No argument there...

---
Per "rn doesn't need local mods" Hedeland
per@erix.UUCP  or  {mcvax,seismo}!enea!erix!per