[net.news] To all the saviors of USENET

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (11/14/85)

In article <343@dolqci.UUCP>, mike@dolqci.UUCP (Mike Stalnaker) writes:

> >Try these two commands on your machine:
>
> >wc $USENET/net/news/[0-9]*
> >	and
> >wc $USENET/net/sources/mac/[0-9]*
>
> >If you are like me, you'll find the programs in sources/mac worth the
> >10% difference in size than all the BULLSHIT in net/news.
> >
> >				Rick Kimball
>
> 	Rick; where on earth did you get your numbers? I just ran the
> two wc commands and came up with: 181226 bytes for net/news and 284969
> for net/sources/mac.  Seems like your 10% difference in size is bullshit
> to me, not net/news.

Mike's numbers, I daresay, are the accurate ones.

Many sites have a policy to expire net.sources and mod.sources more
slowly than other newsgroups.  That could be what happened at
bsdpkh.UUCP.  Alternately, Rick might have missed the files in
the subdirectories of net.news, such as the net.news.group flamage.
--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037

tim@ISM780B.UUCP (11/16/85)

/* Written  2:24 pm  Nov 12, 1985 by mike@dolqci in ISM780B:net.news */

A question: I have never understood why everybody always posts
mac sources in bin-hex form.  Why not SOURCE CODE?  It would take
a lot less room!

/* End of text from ISM780B:net.news */

Binhexed executables are probably smaller than source code.  I don't have
my mac here at the moment, so I can't get any mac examples, but consider
the System V.2 shell.  The source is about 140k, and the executable is
around 40k.  Binhex repaces 6 bit sequences with eight bit ones, so even
after binhexing, we have a considerable savings.