[comp.windows.x] UNIX PLOT to X11 etc

murray@flatirons.central.sun.COM (Murray Stein [Rocky Mtn. Regional MTS]) (03/01/91)

I've looked high and low for an X11-based plotting package that
will accept UNIX PLOT format data for  display in an X11 window
and produce  hard-copy output to PostScript and  non-PostScript
printers (ala HP LaserJet).

And yes, I've looked at xgraph, drawplot, gnuplot, tgif, pbm and
others -- but they don't accept UNIX PLOT format...

Has anyone got something that does this ???

mks

totty@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Brian Totty) (03/01/91)

> And yes, I've looked at xgraph, drawplot, gnuplot, tgif, pbm and
> others -- but they don't accept UNIX PLOT format...
>
> Has anyone got something that does this ???

	I think the Splot stuff uses a superset of UNIX plot.  This
	is contrib to X11 I believe.

   /                      Brian Totty              o o
  /__  __  o       1304 W. Springfield Avenue       o
 /  / /   /             Urbana, IL 61801           \_/  "We have corn in
/__/ /   /             totty@cs.uiuc.edu                Massachusetts too!"

stolcke@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU (Andreas Stolcke) (03/02/91)

In article <9102282048.AA08094@flatirons.Central.Sun.COM>, murray@flatirons.central.sun.COM (Murray Stein [Rocky Mtn. Regional MTS]) writes:

|> I've looked high and low for an X11-based plotting package that
|> will accept UNIX PLOT format data for  display in an X11 window
|> and produce  hard-copy output to PostScript and  non-PostScript
|> printers (ala HP LaserJet).
|>
|> And yes, I've looked at xgraph, drawplot, gnuplot, tgif, pbm and
|> others -- but they don't accept UNIX PLOT format...

There is xplot, a plot(5) postprocessor for X rendering.  It's part of a
collection of plot related programs, the README file for which I include
below.

----

This is the README for GNU graphics, a set of commands for creating
device independent plot files and a set drivers for X11, postscript,
idraw, fig, and tektronics 4010 compatible output devices.  Plot files
generated by  standard unix `graph' command are compatible with these
drivers and an enhanced replacement for graph is inlcuded.

The alpha distribution is available via anonymous ftp from qed.rice.edu
(128.42.4.38) in /pub/graphics-0.10.tar.Z.  It has been tested on Sun3s,
Sun4s, Vaxes and Sequents.

--
Andreas Stolcke					stolcke@icsi.berkeley.edu
International Computer Science Institute	stolcke@ucbicsi.bitnet