[comp.windows.x] SPARC audio xbiff

de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) (02/20/91)

Anyone have a working audio xbiff?  I was unable to get either the
recently-posted dbiff or the audio-xbiff on expo to compile cleanly
and work correctly.  The best I came up with was one that did
everything except play sounds correctly: it just made unhealthy
clicking noises.  (Why doesn't xbiff just do a `system ("cat file
>/dev/audio")'?)

What would be *really* nice is an audio xbiff for a regular (non-MIT
R4) OpenWindows machine.

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)	  It will be a great day when our schools have
Martin Marietta Energy Systems    all the money they need and the Air Force

stevens@canada.ctr.columbia.edu (Andy Stevens) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb19.171235.4893@cs.utk.edu>, de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) writes:
|> Anyone have a working audio xbiff?  I was unable to get either the
|> recently-posted dbiff or the audio-xbiff on expo to compile cleanly

As far as I know, audio-xbiff was written under SunOS 4.0.3 and has not
been updated for 4.1, which modified the audio interface.

--andy s.

tgades@skadi.physics.stolaf.edu (Anthony M Gades) (02/24/91)

In article <1991Feb19.171235.4893@cs.utk.edu> de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) writes:
>Anyone have a working audio xbiff?  I was unable to get either the

I too would like one (a working audio Xbiff) preferably one that uses
a simple system call to make the sound (so i could put in my own play
sounds program).

	tgades@stolaf.edu (Tony Gades)

fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu (Frank Peters) (02/24/91)

In article <1991Feb23.234709.20600@acc.stolaf.edu> tgades@skadi.physics.stolaf.edu (Anthony M Gades) writes:

> In article <1991Feb19.171235.4893@cs.utk.edu> de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) writes:
>>Anyone have a working audio xbiff?  I was unable to get either the

> I too would like one (a working audio Xbiff) preferably one that uses
> a simple system call to make the sound (so i could put in my own play
> sounds program).

An audio version of xbiff is available on expo.lcs.mit.edu in the
contrib directory (as xbiff++.tar.Z).  It supports  4.0.3 and 4.1
sound format and allows you to attach a different sound to messages
with different heads (so that you can play a specific sound when you
get mail on a certain subject or from a certain user for instance).

I have it running on my SPARC.  It works fine.

Regards,
Frank

--
Frank Peters   Internet:  fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu         Bitnet:  FWP1@MsState
               Phone:     (601)325-2942               FAX:     (601)325-8921

melby@pappa.yk.fujitsu.co.jp (John Melby) (03/04/91)

>>>Anyone have a working audio xbiff?  I was unable to get either the
>
>> I too would like one (a working audio Xbiff) preferably one that uses
>> a simple system call to make the sound (so i could put in my own play
>> sounds program).
>
>An audio version of xbiff is available on expo.lcs.mit.edu in the
>contrib directory (as xbiff++.tar.Z).

Of course, the simplest way to get a sound out of xpbiff and its ilk is
to replace the
	XSync(XtDisplay(toplevel), 0);
line with a system call such as
	system("cat %s > /dev/audio")   where %s is the mu-law (.au) file.

I use XGetDefault to take the "xbiff.bellFile" resource and, if it is
non-empty, use it as the file name.  This, of course, is left as an exercise
to the reader.  :-)

Of course, if your program has the suid-bit set, you will want to use
something more secure than system().

-----
John B. Melby
Fujitsu Limited, Machida, Japan