[comp.windows.x] AT&T Claims patent on part of MIT's X11 server.

mfeldman@zodiac.ads.com (Mike Feldman) (02/23/91)

In article <BHANAFEE.91Feb22103004@deimos.ads.com> bhanafee@deimos.ads.com (Brian Hanafee) writes:

      Newsgroups: gnu.announce
      Date: 22 Feb 91 03:00:42 GMT

	      [ I wonder what prior art existed, and if it invalidates
		AT&T's patent.

		-len
	      ]

      To: unido!gnu-announce
      From: jkh@meepmeep.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
      Newsgroups: gnu.announce
      Subject: AT&T Claims patent on part of MIT's X11 server.
      Date: 20 Feb 91 14:38:26 GMT

      I thought that this would be of general interest, to say the least..

      The following letter has been sent by AT&T to all (to my knowledge)
      MIT X Consortium members, though its claims potentially affect *all*
      users of The X Window System, version 11 / revision 3 and above.

      To quote the letter directly (all misreferences to "X Windows"
      intentionally left in):

				      < Dated February 7, 1991 >

      Dear <unfortunate X user>:

	AT&T is aware that your company/institution is an active
      participant in the further development of the X Windows
      System.  We assume that your company/institution is, or may
      well be, commercially marketing or internally developing
      products(s) which are based on an X Windows System
      implementation.

	Consequently, we bring to your attention an AT&T patent
      #4,555,775 invented by Robert C. Pike and issued on November
      26, 1985.  The "backing store" functionality available in the
      X Windows System is an implementation of this patented
      invention, therefore, your company/institution needs a license
      from AT&T for the use of this patent.

	We will be pleased to discuss licensing arrangements with
      the appropriate organization in your company/institution.  To
      expedite these arrangements, your response should be directed

      Ms. O. T. Franz at:

		      AT&T
		      10 Independence Boulevard
		      Room: LL2-3A28
		      Warren, New Jersey  07059-6799
		      Telephone: 908-580-5929
		      FAX: 908-580-6355

	We look forward to resolving this matter in the near
      future.

				      Very truly yours,

				      <signature>

				      A.E. Herron
				      Manager, Intellectual Property

      Copy to:
      L. Bearson
      O.T. Franz
      R.E. Kerwin

      ----

      So. What more can I say? You are, of course, free to direct your

      One also wonders about other window systems using "backing store"
      and the degree to which this patent will be enforced.

						      Jordan
      --
			      PCS Computer Systeme GmbH, Munich, West Germany
	      UUCP:		pyramid!pcsbst!jkh jkh@meepmeep.pcs.com

kaboom@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Jon Maiara) (02/23/91)

I know it's not the policy of this list's maintainers to make a
practice of answering general questions, for lack of time, but perhaps
this backing store issue warrants some kind of statement.  I would
certainly believe that one of the X gurus has heard of this patent,
and perhaps seen the application.  It might be helpful if one of the
consortium leader-types could say whether they have seen the patent
and think the claim is bogus, if they think we're doomed, or whatever.
Even if bizarre legal doings prevent this, it would still be helpful
to hear something.
--
---Jon Maiara <kaboom@media-lab.media.mit.edu>

mouse@lightning.mcrcim.mcgill.EDU (02/23/91)

> Consequently, we bring to your attention an AT&T patent #4,555,775
> invented by Robert C. Pike and issued on November 26, 1985.  The
> "backing store" functionality available in the X Windows System is an
> implementation of this patented invention,

Or at least so AT&T is reported to be claiming.

Has anyone looked up patent #4555775?  It seems to me it would be most
helpful to post a copy of it.

Also, have similar letters arrived in any other countries?  Any non-US
Consortium members care to speak up?

(Really.  Trying to patent backing-store.  Well, that finally puts paid
to any thoughts I might have had about buying *anything* from AT&T.)

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

rws@expo.lcs.mit.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (02/25/91)

    I know it's not the policy of this list's maintainers to make a
    practice of answering general questions, for lack of time,

More of a practical necessity than a policy.

    but perhaps this backing store issue warrants some kind of statement.

It's not obvious to me that there's much to be gained from a statement
or a discussion on this list.  If you are interested in the specifics
of the patent, then I suggest you obtain a copy, read it, and come up
with your own interpretation of what it says, rather than relying on
the interpretation and/or guess-work of others.  If you believe you
understand the patent and you have real documentation to invalidate
specific claims made in the patent, there are people who would be
interested in obtaining it.  If you would like to become active in the
general issue of software patents, there are organizations you can join.
At the directon of Congress, the Office of Technology Assessment is
currently conducting a study specifically directed at software intellectual
property policies, "Computer Software and Intellectual Property: Meeting
the Challenges of Technological Change and Global Competition".  If you
believe you can contribute to their study, I can tell you who to contat.

    It might be helpful if one of the
    consortium leader-types could say whether they have seen the patent

Yes, of course.

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (02/25/91)

Does this really surprise anyone?  After all, the LABEL file distributed
with the source contains the following:

         X Window System, Version 11
                  Release 4

            contents copyrighted by

     Massachusetts Institute of Technology
          Adobe Systems, Inc.
         Apollo Computer Inc.
         Apple Computer, Inc.
********* AT&T, Inc. **************
          Don Bennett
           Bigelow & Holmes
        Bitstream, Inc.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think AT&T might have a tough time enforcing
this patent.

--
Kaleb Keithley                        kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

As of right now, I'm in charge here now...                  Alexander Haig.
Voodoo Economics, that's what it is, voodoo economics.      George Bush

sean@dsl.pitt.edu (Sean McLinden) (02/26/91)

In article <KABOOM.91Feb23080841@lady-day.media-lab.media.mit.edu> kaboom@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Jon Maiara) writes:
>and perhaps seen the application.  It might be helpful if one of the
>consortium leader-types could say whether they have seen the patent
>and think the claim is bogus, if they think we're doomed, or whatever.
>Even if bizarre legal doings prevent this, it would still be helpful
>to hear something.

I'm neither a guru nor a spokesperson for anyone in the consortium
but this claim seems like the workings of some wet-behind-the-ears
law school graduate just hired by ATT. Apart from the technical
considerations I suspect that the ATT claim would not find much
sympathy in court. One difficulty is the fact that the X sources
have been publically available for many years (I am sure that ATT
had at least one copy), and in that time they made no effort to
enforce the patent until now. Their motivation seems pretty clear;
the nuisance costs will be greater, to most, than the cost of the
license.

Frankly, I doubt that they have the resources to press this issue
if everyone simply ignored it. Besides being a technical miscalculation
this may be one of the bigger public relations blunders that I've
seen in a long time.

Sean McLinden
Decision Systems Laboratory
University of Pittsburgh

jym@sgi.com (Administration Training Course) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb25.154715.9834@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov> kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>Does this really surprise anyone?  After all, the LABEL file distributed
>with the source contains the following:
>
>         X Window System, Version 11
>                  Release 4
>
>            contents copyrighted by
>
>     Massachusetts Institute of Technology
>          Adobe Systems, Inc.
>         Apollo Computer Inc.
>         Apple Computer, Inc.
>********* AT&T, Inc. **************
>          Don Bennett
>           Bigelow & Holmes
>        Bitstream, Inc.
>
>I'm not a lawyer, but I think AT&T might have a tough time enforcing
>this patent.

Could someone at AT&T comment on this issue?

jim t

tree@sadye.uvm.edu (Tom Emerson) (02/26/91)

Kaleb> Does this really surprise anyone?  After all, the LABEL file distributed
Kaleb> with the source contains the following:

[deleted...]
Kaleb>          Apple Computer, Inc.
Kaleb> ********* AT&T, Inc. **************
Kaleb>           Don Bennett
[...deleted]

Kaleb> I'm not a lawyer, but I think AT&T might have a tough time enforcing
Kaleb> this patent.

Simply giving them credit does not protect from Patent infringement.
AT&T is after $$$$ for this rediculous patent.  Either way, WE MUST
FIGHT THE DEATH STAR ON THIS!

Just my $0.02 worth.

Tom

--
                                      Tom Emerson
________________   Student Systems Programmer - EMBA Computer Facility

us269574@mmm.serc.3m.com (Darryn J. Kozak) (02/26/91)

From article <9102231551.AA01386@lightning.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>, by mouse@lightning.mcrcim.mcgill.EDU:
>> Consequently, we bring to your attention an AT&T patent #4,555,775
>> invented by Robert C. Pike and issued on November 26, 1985.  The
>> "backing store" functionality available in the X Windows System is an
>> implementation of this patented invention,
>
> Or at least so AT&T is reported to be claiming.
.
.
.

> (Really.  Trying to patent backing-store.  Well, that finally puts paid
> to any thoughts I might have had about buying *anything* from AT&T.)
>
> 					der Mouse
>
> 			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
> 			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

I suspect not only are they trying to patent, but that they actually did!
If they were the first - hurray for them. If someone else was using backing
store before them and they can prove it, no one has anything to worry about
(probably). But if AT&T invented it - shouldn't they get the credit?

        Darryn Kozak

        3M Center
        260-4A-08
        St. Paul, MN 55144

        phone:          612-733-3271
        email:          us269574@mmm.3m.com or kozak@umn-cs.edu
        FAX:            612-737-3213

us269574@mmm.serc.3m.com (Darryn J. Kozak) (02/26/91)

From article <1991Feb25.233326.3064@odin.corp.sgi.com>, by jym@sgi.com (Administration Training Course):
> In article <1991Feb25.154715.9834@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov> kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>>Does this really surprise anyone?  After all, the LABEL file distributed
>>with the source contains the following:
>>
>>         X Window System, Version 11
>>                  Release 4
>>
>>            contents copyrighted by
>>
>>     Massachusetts Institute of Technology
>>          Adobe Systems, Inc.
>>         Apollo Computer Inc.
>>         Apple Computer, Inc.
>>********* AT&T, Inc. **************
>>          Don Bennett
>>           Bigelow & Holmes
>>        Bitstream, Inc.
>>
>>I'm not a lawyer, but I think AT&T might have a tough time enforcing
>>this patent.
>
> Could someone at AT&T comment on this issue?
>
> jim t

Only if AT&T doesn't have any attorney's. A very unlikely scenario.

rlh2@ukc.ac.uk (R.L.Hesketh) (02/27/91)

In article <9102231551.AA01386@lightning.McRCIM.McGill.EDU> mouse@lightning.mcrcim.mcgill.EDU writes:
>Also, have similar letters arrived in any other countries?  Any non-US
>Consortium members care to speak up?

Yeah, UKC got one last week even though were not in the consortium anymore.
We all thought April had come early this year.

Richard

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (02/28/91)

In article <TREE.91Feb26081828@sadye.uvm.edu> tree@sadye.uvm.edu (Tom Emerson) writes:
> On 25 Feb 91 15:47:15 GMT, kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) said:
>
>> Does this really surprise anyone?  After all, the LABEL file distributed
>> with the source contains the following:
>
>>          Apple Computer, Inc.
>> ********* AT&T, Inc. **************
>>           Don Bennett
>
>> I'm not a lawyer, but I think AT&T might have a tough time enforcing
>> this patent.
>
>Simply giving them credit does not protect from Patent infringement.
>AT&T is after $$$$ for this rediculous patent.

I didn't say giving them credit prevented patent infringement claims.  My
opinion is based on my (meager) knowledge and understanding of business
law.  I didn't think that c.w.x was an appropriate forum for discussion
of the legal ramifications of estoppel, therefore, I didn't go into
disertation mode.  And, as I'm not a lawyer, I also decided that I would
be doing a disservice if I mis-stated legal principles.

My reference to the LABEL file was merely to point out that there is
a large amount of copyrighted and patented work within the X distribution.

--

bpendlet@es.com (Bob Pendleton) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb25.163318.14659@dsl.pitt.edu>, sean@dsl.pitt.edu (Sean McLinden) writes:

|> Frankly, I doubt that they have the resources to press this issue
|> if everyone simply ignored it. Besides being a technical miscalculation
|> this may be one of the bigger public relations blunders that I've
|> seen in a long time.

You obviously have no idea just how big AT&T is and the kinds of
damages they could collect if you "simply ignore it."

I suspect that many vendors will simply delete the backing store code
from their servers and promise AT&T that they won't ever turn it back
on. I've never had it turned on in any of the servers I've worked on
because it isn't worth didly if your frame buffer has more than just a
few planes. It takes way to much memory when you have 96 bit pixels.

--
              Bob Pendleton, speaking only for myself.
   bpendlet@dsd.es.com or decwrl!esunix!bpendlet or utah-cs!esunix!bpendlet

                         Tools, not rules.

sxb@sequoia.cray.com (Stephen Behling) (03/01/91)

|> >and perhaps seen the application.  It might be helpful if one of the
|> >consortium leader-types could say whether they have seen the patent
|> >and think the claim is bogus, if they think we're doomed, or whatever.
|> >Even if bizarre legal doings prevent this, it would still be helpful
|> >to hear something.
|>
|> I'm neither a guru nor a spokesperson for anyone in the consortium
|> but this claim seems like the workings of some wet-behind-the-ears
|> law school graduate just hired by ATT.

   How about somebody applying for a patent on a certain "Method to
Argue a Legal Brief"?  Then any lawyer trying the same argument/technique
would be subject to a lawsuit.  This is a recursive tight loop, so pretty
soon all the lawyers in the country will be tied up in lawsuits with each
other--and we would all be better off.

   How about an AT&T tight loop---if you find two people with automatic
phone forwarding that would simultaneously forward to each other....

   Patent no. 123456789 pending for the above sarcasm....

Opinions are mine......obviously.

tree@newton.uvm.edu (Tom Emerson) (03/01/91)

[stuff deleted.]
Kaleb> My reference to the LABEL file was merely to point out that there is
Kaleb> a large amount of copyrighted and patented work within the X distribution.

I still feel that just giving the Death Star credit in the LABEL file
is not the same as paying a license to use a particular patent.  The
LABEL protects from possible legal action in regards to copyright
infringement, but not against patent infringement.  It would not
hinder AT&T at all if they did decide to press the issue in the
courts.

Tom

--
                                      Tom Emerson
________________   Student Systems Programmer - EMBA Computer Facility
 /  /_) /_  /_                    University of Vermont
/  / \ /__ /__                     tree@newton.uvm.edu
            What can you say about a society that says God is
                         dead and Elvis is alive?

tih@barsoom.nhh.no (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo) (03/02/91)

The "backing store" functionality of X11 is something we can go without
if need be.  In fact, I run X with backing store turned off on all our
DECwindows workstations, because of a memory leak in the implementation.

The X documentation credits several companies with letting MIT use
copyrighted software in X -- including AT&T.  This prominent display
announcing these companies' willingness to give something for free to
the community is a Good Thing, by my lights.

So -- what if MIT simply dropped backing store from X, and added a
prominent text to the documentation (next to the credits to various
companies), saying something like "Because AT&T, unlike [list of names
including DEC, Apple, etc], is committed to software hoarding and
silly lawsuits, the backing store facility has been removed from X11.
For more information on this issue, contact [someone at AT&T]."
(A different wording should be used, I guess, but something along these
lines.)

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, NHH, Bergen, Norway.  Telephone: +47-5-959205
tih@barsoom.nhh.no, thelbekk@norunit.bitnet, edb_tom@debet.nhh.no

mikeo@integr19.cetia.fr (Mike Overton) (03/05/91)

In article <9102231551.AA01386@lightning.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>, mouse@lightning.mcrcim.mcgill.EDU writes:

|> Also, have similar letters arrived in any other countries?  Any non-US
|> Consortium members care to speak up?

Yes - we have received the letter. No decisions have been taken yet.

My own personal feeling is that they seem to have taken a VERY long
time to mention their patent - perhaps waiting for everybody to
do the relevant work, so that it is a question of

a) removing the offending code from the server - perhaps costing a
  considerable amount in terms of personnel etc.

or b) paying up.

This looks to me to be a little suspicious!

These are my own opinions - I do not speak for CETIA on this subject.

Mike Overton.

It looks to me like AT&T's patent-infringement claim is unfounded.  Here is
an excerpt from a comment from server/ddx/mi/mibstore.c in the MIT sample
server:

 *    This is a cross between saving everything and just saving the
 * obscued areas (as in Pike's layers.)

If this comment is correct, and if the patented algorithm is the one used
in "Pike's layers" (seems like a reasonable assumption), MIT's backing
store implementation is explicitly *not* using the patented mechanism.
Claim 9 of the patent (posted by Ritchie to comp.misc and gnu.misc.discuss
-- maybe suppose someone should copy it here) specifically says that the
terminal maintains a separate backing bitmap for each obscured area of a
window and each window maintains a list of its backing bitmaps, and claim
10 says that each backing bitmap list includes a specification of the size
and position of the window.  MIT's code only seems to maintain a single
backing pixmap per window.

Furthermore, claim 1 in the patent specifies that it deals with
*rectangular* windows.  X servers that implement the shape extension
support non-rectangular windows, and don't fall under the claims of the
patent.

--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (03/07/91)

  Just to be obnoxious, how 'bout if we all call AT&T and tell them we're
switching our long distance phone carrier specifically because of this
issue?  Pass this note around to enough people and boycott the suckers ...

brtmac@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu (Brett McCoy) (03/07/91)

In <92683@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) writes:

>  Just to be obnoxious, how 'bout if we all call AT&T and tell them we're
>switching our long distance phone carrier specifically because of this
>issue?  Pass this note around to enough people and boycott the suckers ...

If you're serious about boycotting them I suggest you post something to
trial.alt.boycott.

( Hi Mike :-)

--
"I wrote a lisp program once...it wrote back to me." -- unknown
Reality is for people who can't deal with drugs.