[comp.windows.x] Sun GX and X11.R4

granth@well.sf.ca.us (Grant S. Hayashi) (02/19/91)

Does anyone know if the X11R4 distribution from MIT supports the Sun GX
accelerator on a sparc.

gstiehl@convex.com (Greg Stiehl) (02/22/91)

In article <23221@well.sf.ca.us> granth@well.sf.ca.us (Grant S. Hayashi) writes:

>Does anyone know if the X11R4 distribution from MIT supports the Sun GX
>accelerator on a sparc.

It works.  I've built the raw X server from MIT on a Spark2 GX without
any problems.  However, if you mean "does it use any of the features
of the GX board", I think the answer is no.

-greg.

amir@pilat.Israel.Silvaco.COM (Amir J. Katz) (02/27/91)

I'll second Greg Stiehl's motion - X11R4 runs fine on the GX board, but
does not use the acceleration features. A company called Unipalm/Xtech in the
UK claims to have it's own version of X11R4 that does take advantage of the GX
features.
Contact: xtech@xtech.uucp or unipalm@unipalm.co.uk,
fax # +44 954 211244.
Another source would be ICS (Cambridge, MA) - info@ics.com,
fax # (617) 547-0758.

-- Good luck,
--

   Amir J. Katz, System Manager

E-mail:     amir@taux01.nsc.com
Phone:      +972 52-570713
Fax:        +972 52-570719
Snail-mail: Amir J. Katz, Silvaco Israel Ltd.
            19 Maskit St., Herzelia, Israel

d5peteg@dtek.chalmers.se (Peter Gustafsson) (03/07/91)

>In article <23221@well.sf.ca.us> granth@well.sf.ca.us (Grant S. Hayashi) writes:
>>
>>Does anyone know if the X11R4 distribution from MIT supports the Sun GX
>>accelerator on a sparc.

>It works.  I've built the raw X server from MIT on a Spark2 GX without
>any problems.  However, if you mean "does it use any of the features
>of the GX board", I think the answer is no.

>-greg.

How about the "new" SPARCstation 2 GS, 24 bit color - Will X11R4 work,
and will any features be supported?

   Peter Gustafsson
   Gothenburgs Universities' Computing Centre