[comp.windows.x] Installing Motif with Open Windows

zinnato@nadc.nadc.navy.MIL (03/08/91)

I have a question about installing Motif.  We have some Sun4s, all running
SunOS 4.0.3, and they're all running OpenWindows 2.0 right now.  We used to
have plain vanilla X11R4 running on the machines, but after we got OW 2.0,
we got rid of it because of space limitations.  Now I'm told I have to
install Motif 1.1.1 on these machines.  In the release notes it says that I
must have the X11R4 intrinsics library in order to build Motif.

My questions, I guess, are:

Do I need no fetch and rebuild all of X11R4 if I already have an X11R4
compliant server (OpenWindows)?  OpenWindows came with this server... we
didn't need to have MIT's release.

Would I actually be able to run Motif on top of Open Windows?  We have some
people here (myself included) who don't really care for olwm and just use
the X11 server from OpenWindows and run twm on it.

If any of the above is true:

Can I apply the MIT patches to Open Windows?  Or has Sun tweaked the server
too much?

Is it possible to fetch only those parts I need from MIT's release?

Mucho thanks,
ron zinnato

zinnato@nadc.nadc.navy.mil

db@sunbim.be (Danny Backx) (03/11/91)

In article <9103081515.AA25305@foghorn.looney> zinnato@nadc.nadc.navy.MIL writes:
>Do I need no fetch and rebuild all of X11R4 if I already have an X11R4
>compliant server (OpenWindows)?  OpenWindows came with this server... we
>didn't need to have MIT's release.
Both Motif as well as OpenWindows X clients talk X over TCP. There is no need
to rebuild the X server, or to go to the X11r4 server. (Except for speed :-)

>Would I actually be able to run Motif on top of Open Windows?  We have some
>people here (myself included) who don't really care for olwm and just use
>the X11 server from OpenWindows and run twm on it.
Yes.

>Can I apply the MIT patches to Open Windows?  Or has Sun tweaked the server
>too much?
They wrote their own server. You can not apply MIT patches to it.

>Is it possible to fetch only those parts I need from MIT's release?
Yes. You need an X server (e.g. X11/NeWS or X11r4); a window manager (twm, olwm,
mwm, ...); X clients (xterm [X11r4], cmdtool [OW], dbxtool [OW], ...).

Now for the library & toolkit question :

OpenWindows contains a Xt also, but its revision level is too low. You better
replace that one with X11r4's Xt, with all patches applied to it. (For Motif
1.1.1, also the OSF patch to mit/lib/Xt/Selection.c).

	Danny Backx
	System Engineer, BIM Networks

E-Mail: db@sunbim.be    (or uunet!mcsun!ub4b!sunbim!db)

Telephone: +32(2)759.59.25	Fax : +32(2)759.47.95

Postal Mail :
	Danny Backx
	BIM
	Kwikstraat 4