[net.news] Spurious newgroups from "wang!root"

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (11/21/85)

Over the last couple days we have received some 106 "newgroup" control
messages from "root@wang (UNIX SYSTEM ADMIN Deb Bunting)".  I didn't
notice them until today, when the "newgroup"s finally got around to
newsgroups that didn't exist:

	fa.bitgraph
	fa.anews-d
	fa.human-nets
	fa.energy
	fa.digest-p
	fa.info-vax
	fa.railroad
	fa.sf-lovers
	fa.telecom
	fa.teletext
	net.adm.site
	net.chess
	net.info-tenews
	net.mail.msggroup
	net.micro.432
	net.micro.zx

(To other SA's, you may need this list to recover)

Here's a sample:

>From: root@wang.UUCP (  UNIX SYSTEM ADMIN Deb Bunting)
>Newsgroups: fa.railroad.ctl
>Subject: cmsg newgroup fa.railroad
>Date: 16 Nov 85 16:35:19 GMT
>
><funny char>

It very much looks like she was doing an install of 2.10.2 (notice
the low Message-ID) with a really old "newsgroups" and goofed.
This has happened before, but it is a real royal pain to recover from.
Our downstreams shouldn't see these, I deleted 'em from the spool area
before they were csendbatch'd.

Anyways, this has gotten to be such a nuisance, I would really like to
propose:

	1) newgroup messages should be originated by only ONE person
	   per "level of net".  The logical person for this in the global
	   "net.", "mod." is Spaf - the only person whose rmgroups/newgroups
	   I trust without question.  [ flames from "Fear and ..." or
	   "net.dictator" types to /dev/null ]

	   [ Our policy until now: Unless I've seen something in
	   net.news.group, newgroups other than from Spaf are rmgroup'd
	   immediately.  In case of doubt, the group is rmgroup'd until
	   Spaf's next checkgroups.  We have remote rmgroups turned off.]

	2) Modify inews to only accept newgroups from specific users;
	   Spaf, the local SA(s), and subnet SA's.  Has anybody implemented
	   this before for 2.10.1 and upwards?  It would be really nice
	   if the "specific user list" was in a file in /usr/lib/news.

	3) Make sure that everybody about to install a new news system
	   is given a warning about this.  In particular, don't use
	   inews -C to create the initial active!
--
Chris Lewis,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis

adams@calma.UUCP (Robert Adams) (11/25/85)

> Over the last couple days we have received some 106 "newgroup" control
> messages from "root@wang (UNIX SYSTEM ADMIN Deb Bunting)".  I didn't
> It very much looks like she was doing an install of 2.10.2 (notice
> the low Message-ID) with a really old "newsgroups" and goofed.
> Anyways, this has gotten to be such a nuisance, I would really like to
> propose:
>
> 	1) newgroup messages should be originated by only ONE person
> 	   per "level of net".  The logical person for this in the global
> 	   "net.", "mod." is Spaf - the only person whose rmgroups/newgroups
> 	   I trust without question.  [ flames from "Fear and ..." or
> 	   "net.dictator" types to /dev/null ]

Actually, what we need is "mod.control" but that would require another
release of news software.  I hope that news software 2.10.3 has a
script "newgroup" that is like "rmgroup" that just plays with the
active file and creates directory so that messages can't go out
onto the net.

	adams@calma.UUCP		-- Robert Adams
	...!ucbvax!calma!adams