[comp.windows.x] Key repeat under X

harbo@diku.dk (Klaus Harbo) (03/12/91)

We have several DECstations, and I want to turn key repeat on for some of the
keys above arrow-keys, but I have been unable to recover any information about
this. Note that it is *not* the general turning on or off of key repeat, but
turning it on or off for specific keys on the keyboard.

- I think that there must some configuration file describing this, since some
keys by default have key repeat and some not (e.g. Return).

Please reply by e-mail.

Thanks in advance.

Klaus Harbo
Euromath Center
<harbo@euromath.dk> or <harbo@diku.dk>
--
|  Klaus Harbo                   |                                         |
|  Euromath Center               | e-mail:               harbo@euromath.dk |

jg@jg.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar11.165600.3792@odin.diku.dk> harbo@diku.dk (Klaus Harbo) writes:
>We have several DECstations, and I want to turn key repeat on for some of the
>keys above arrow-keys, but I have been unable to recover any information about
>this. Note that it is *not* the general turning on or off of key repeat, but
>turning it on or off for specific keys on the keyboard.

The way the keyboard is driven in the current device drivers makes it
very difficult to do what you want; the keyboard is an arcane beast.

The new multi-screen device driver that will start appearing as multi-screen
support happens drives the keyboard in a different way and allows full control
of auto-repeat on a per key basis; the "xset" command will then allow you
to control each key.  This driver also replaces the current device
driver on the DS2100/DS3100 in Ultrix 4.2.

So the best I can tell you right now is "fixed in future release".
				- Jim Gettys
				  Digital Equipment Corporation
				  Cambridge Research Lab.

--