[comp.windows.x] UIF's and automobiles

pete@iris49.UUCP (Pete Ware) (03/12/91)

I'm pretty tired of this analogy between the consistency of the UIF
for an automobile and the inconsistency of the UIF on a workstation.
Why do people keep saying cars are consistent?  Sure they have a
steering wheel, a break and a gas pedal -- and that's all they ever
agree on.

Auto inconsistencies:
(I may or may not be self-consistent, but that's not what I meant)

Standard Item		Variations
-------------		----------
Gas pedal		size
			width
			action (i.e. movement and presure needed)
Brake			Power
			Manual
			Distance from gas
Steering Wheel:		Power
			Manual
			Diameter
			Thickness
			Grips (leather, grooves, ...)

You probably get the idea.  Even with the above most people feel
comfortable in just about any car, with some exceptions (my wife hated
driving a Volvo I owned because her height (5'3") forced her to peer
from under the top of the steering wheel and over the dashboard to
drive -- a book to raise her up so she could see over the steering
wheel and she couldn't reach the pedals).  But what about all those
other things that are _implied_ by this analogy -- that's what all
these self-righteous people who decry the inconsitencies in GUI's
ignore:

Isn't a manual transmission versus an automatic transmission a rather
major UIF inconsitency?  Even for cars with manual transmissions some
have 3, 4, or 5 speeds.  Some transmissions have the shifter on the
steering wheel and some have it on the floor.  There are even variations
in the pattern used for shifting.  The most annoying of all is of
course the fact that no two cars seem to have exactly the same timing
involved in pushing the clutch some special distance and moving the
gear shift to the right position.  But cars are user friendly.

Then we get down to the details of the UIF.  Ever get into a rental
car at night when it's raining?

Step 1. Determine which key to use to open up the trunk to put your
	suitcases away.
Step 2. Determine which key opens the car door.
Step 3. Try to find the ignition for the key.
Step 4. Try to find how to turn the interior light on so you can find
	the ignition for the key (is the switch on the light or
	somewhere on the steering wheel?  does it go forward,
	backward, or centered to turn on the light).
Step 5. Turn key in ignition.  Nothing happens.  Oops, someone left
	the transmission in "D" (you know, Drive).  Along similar
	lines, I also tend to turn the key in the ignition as soon as
	possible.  One rental car sometimes would turn over and
	sometimes it wouldn't until the second try.  Very
	unpredictable.  I'd check to see it was "P" (you know, Park).
	It was.  I'd turn the key again and it would start.  Hmm.  It
	took a day or two but I finally realized the problem: as long
	as the seat belt light was flashing, which lasted ~5 seconds,
	the car wouldn't start.  Arghh.
Step 6. Search for rear defroster button somewhere on the dashboard.
Step 7. Starting turning, pushing, and pulling every nob and handle on
	the steering until one fortuitously discovers one of:
	lights, windshield wipers, rear windsheld wipers.
Step 8. Turn off all the things you don't need that were turned on in
	Step 7: windshield fluid (front and rear) (really useful when
	it's raining, huh?), high beams, cruise control, turning signals.
Step 9. Find the parking break and release it
Step 10. Get out of the car and close the hood you popped open while
	searching for the parking break.
Step 11. Try to find the adjustment for the instrument lighting
	because someone has the instrument panel blacked out.

So now your driving.  Let's look at the instrument panel and the
various dials.  All cars have a speedometer (mph, kmh or both), fuel
gauge and odometer.  Of course they are never in the same place.
Especially frustrating is the scale the speedometer uses.  On our
Chevy Sprint, when the needle (some cars have variations on the
needle) is vertical, one is doing about 50mph -- so you know by a
glance if the needle is near vertical you're somewhere near the
highway speed limit.  On our Subaru Legacy, if the needle is vertical
you are doing about 80mph and the two cars have about the same amount
of shaking/noise at that point -- ticket time.

Other instruments that may be on the dashboard in effectively
arbitrary order:  temperature, oil pressure, and tachometer, various
dummy lights to indicate errors.  Cruise control has all sorts of
options from being on the steering wheel to being on one of the myriad
of handles on the steering column.

So, are there a lessons to be learned from the above?

1. Analogies frequently show up more than intended (or perhaps
   analogies shouldn't be carried too far?).
2. Most people adjust to inconsitencies.
3. As long as the basic tools are there (menus, scrollbars, buttons,
   text areas) the form isn't critical.

Just a small diatribe you can give to your friends the next time they
try to haras you with this automobile vs. GUI's analogy.

--pete

ejp@bohra.cpg.oz (Esmond Pitt) (03/13/91)

In article <9103111919.AA07088@iris49.biosym.com> pete@iris49.UUCP (Pete Ware) writes:
> I'm pretty tired of this analogy between the consistency of the UIF
> for an automobile and the inconsistency of the UIF on a workstation.

As a matter of interest, last century when Daimler showed his newly
invented vehicle to a group of engineers, they were reportedly
horrified with the idea of a gearbox:  they viewed it as a nasty kludge
to get around his failure to invent a continuously variable drive
system. "You'll never train people to use one of those things!".

The relevance of this tale is that one of the earliest-criticised
features of the automobile has proved to be one of the most enduring.
One can agree with the criticism from an engineering point of view;
however it overlooks the fact gear-shifting could be fun. We still
judge cars on how well the gears shift, rather than on how useful the
whole process is.

--
Esmond Pitt, Computer Power Group
ejp@bohra.cpg.oz