[comp.windows.x] DECWindows fonts

hansen@scr.slb.COM (Ove Hansen) (03/14/91)

How can I get my Sun Sparcstation 1 running OpenWindows to use DECWindows fonts? I believe the opposite question has been asked before, unfortunately I didn't save the answers that came in.

To summarise: I have a Sparcstation 1 running OpenWindows, and would like to use the DECWindows applications located on a VAX 6410. DECW$clock pops up as it should on my Sparcstation, but I get the following warning:

       X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-MENU-MEDIUM-R-Normal--*-120-
*-*-P-*-ISO8859-1" to type FontList, using fixed font

The Bookreader doesn't even start up but crashes giving the following error message:

X Error event received: BadName - font or color name does not exist

From reading the answers to previously asked questions I believe the solution is to transfer the fonts and compile them. Only problem is: I don't know how to! Can anyone help me?

Another problem is the DECWindows Session Manager, which messes up the colours on my Sparcstation screen and turns the keyclick on. Silly. Any solutions? (except for not using it?)

Another problem I have is with the UNIRAS X11 driver (version 6). Uniras hasn't been able to help me so I won't be surprised if nobody else can. The problem is: when the application runs on a (any) Sun a window opens and the Uniras graphics is displayed as it should. When the application runs on the VAX and tries to display on the Sparcstation, it crashes, giving:

Illegal unit size: 8 found in routine: _normalizeimagebits
%XLIB-F-LIBABORT, xlib fatal error
%TRACE-F-TRACEBACK, symbolic stack dump follows

Running the application on the VAX and displaying it on a Mac running MacX or eXodus works without any problems. Is there anyone who has any idea what causes the program to crash?

If anyone should know the answer to any of my question please e-mail me at the e-mail address below.

To finish off - since so many people seem to hate MacX and I happened to mention it earlier - here's what an excited user (who now is a MacX fan!) sent me a few days ago, after I taught him how to start up DECWindows applications:

> 	X really does bring a whole lot of new possibilties -
>	I've been browsing SUN files over NFS using FileView
>	running on the VAX and displaying results on my MAC (!)

*   Ove Hansen                                  e-mail: hansen@scr.slb.com    *    *   Schlumberger Cambridge Research             Tel   : +44-223-315576 x.246  *                             *   P.O.Box 153, Cambridge CB3 0HG, England     Fax   : +44-223-67956         *                         *-----------------------------------------------------------------------------*
* What did the software vendor say when his software went wild and started    *
* World War III?    "It's a feature - not a bug!"                             *

alfredo@cca.pue.udlap.mx (Alfredo de Regil) (03/14/91)

	About the fonts problem you mentioned, when I was in your situation,
I added the following fonts to the Synonyms.list file (with current directory
"/usr/openwin/lib/fonts"):

(-bigelow & holmes-menu-medium-r-normal--13-100-100-100-p-77-iso8859-1)    /Helvetica-Bold _FontDirectorySYN
(-bigelow & holmes-menu-medium-r-normal--16-120-100-100-p-92-iso8859-1)    /Helvetica-Bold _FontDirectorySYN

	And, I rebuild the file running "/usr/openwin/bin/bldfamily"

	That's what I can tell you.

        __
    0   | \          ________ Alfredo De Regil Salinas
   /\_^_|  |__      /_________ Universidad De Las Americas, Puebla, MEXICO
  `__  ----   \____/___________ alfredo@cca.pue.udlap.mx
    /\  _|_        \____________ alfredo@udlapvms

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (03/14/91)

In article <9103131843.AA08142@SLCS.SLB.COM>, hansen@scr.slb.COM (Ove Hansen) writes:
|> How can I get my Sun Sparcstation 1 running OpenWindows to use DECWindows fonts?

The easy solution to your problem is to get the DECwindows fonts.alias
file from export.lcs.mit.edu.  This allows DECwindows applications to
run on any server supporting the MIT X11R4 fonts.

--
Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.

dob@inel.GOV (Dave Brooks) (03/15/91)

   From: klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee)
   Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
   Date: 14 Mar 91 01:00:43 GMT

   In article <9103131843.AA08142@SLCS.SLB.COM>, hansen@scr.slb.COM (Ove Hansen) writes:
   |> How can I get my Sun Sparcstation 1 running OpenWindows to use DECWindows fonts?

   The easy solution to your problem is to get the DECwindows fonts.alias
   file from export.lcs.mit.edu.  This allows DECwindows applications to
   run on any server supporting the MIT X11R4 fonts.

   --
   Ken Lee
   DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
   Internet: klee@wsl.dec.com
   uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

regretably, OpenWindows uses an entirely different scheme than fonts.alias
and freinds.  i recently tried 'decoding' their font scheme, and can truly
say that it's quite different.  of course, the decwindows fonts.alias file
is a good starting place.  I'd imagine that anyone who can provide
'patches' to one or more of the files listed below (perhaps the directory
will be different) will be doing a great public service.

regards,
dlb

-rw-r--r--  1 root        10967 Feb 28 15:20 /usr/windows/openwin2/lib/fonts/Compat.list
-rw-rw-r--  1 root        39599 Feb 28 15:32 /usr/windows/openwin2/lib/fonts/Families.list
-rw-rw-r--  1 root        53396 Feb 28 15:21 /usr/windows/openwin2/lib/fonts/Synonyms.list

[no, that's not my signature!  this is:]
David L. Brooks
Idaho National Engineering Lab.  INTERNET: dob@INEL.GOV
POB 1625 MS 2603                 Phone: (208) 526-0826
Idaho Falls, Id. 83415		 FAX:   (208) 526-9936