[comp.windows.x] XWD bug

cew@censun1.UUCP (SSUID Craig E Warsaw) (03/15/91)

I believe I've found a bug in xwd.
Sun 3 and Sparc, SunOS 4.0.3, and SunOS 4.1.1
MIT X11R4, patches 1-18

I want to dump a window with the window manager decorations using
the -frame option.  This option only works when specifying windows
interactively; it doesn't work if I specify a window id using the
-id option or the window name using the -name option.

For example,

  xwd -frame -name xclock -out tmp.xwd

has the same result as

  xwd -name xclock -out tmp.xwd

Does anyone have a patch?

Craig Warsaw
cwarsaw@cen.com

msy@demon.siemens.com (Marcus S. Yoo) (03/15/91)

In article <596@censun1.UUCP> cew@censun1.UUCP (SSUID Craig E Warsaw) writes:
>I want to dump a window with the window manager decorations using
>the -frame option.  This option only works when specifying windows
>interactively; it doesn't work if I specify a window id using the
>-id option or the window name using the -name option.
>
>Craig Warsaw
>cwarsaw@cen.com

With -frame option, if you interactively select a window,
xwd will traverse the window hierarchy upto to window manager's
frame window. But if you specify a window by using -id option,
than xwd will more-or-less ignore -frame option and just dumps
the specified window. If you want to dump the window with
the frame, try specifying the window id of the frame window.

This somewhat makes sense (to me at least) because when you specify
a window by "-id <window_id>", you probably want to dump that window.
It can even by a subwindow (parent window is not frame/root).
But if you just point and click, xwd can make some assumptions due
to the inaccurate nature of "pointing" the mouse cursor (as apposed
to exact-ness of specifying window id).
--
Marcus S. Yoo   msy@siemens.com | My friend Data, you see things with the
Siemens Corporate Research, Inc | wonder of a child. And that makes you