[comp.windows.x] Most efficient way of managing children

asente@adobe.com (Paul Asente) (03/19/91)

In article <404@bpa44.sbi.com> sivan@bpa44.sbi.com (Sivan Mahadevan) writes:
>I'd like to know what is the most efficient (in time) way of managing
>a tree of widgets.

Before realization, it makes no difference at all whether you manage children
one at a time, in bunches, or all at once.  There is no difference between
creating each child with XtCreateManaged widget and creating each child with
XtCreateWidget and then managing them later with XtManageChildren.

After realization, it is much more efficient to batch management calls up as
much as possible with XtManageChildren.

	-paul asente
		asente@adobe.com	...decwrl!adobe!asente

    Ratz put a bucket of liquid in front of me.
   "I wanted a glass of docs, Ratz.  What the hell is this?" I barked.
   "Motif don't fit in a glass anymore," he barked back.
    I looked at the liquid.  It was totally opaque to me.

mikey@eukanuba.wpd.sgi.com (Mike Yang) (03/19/91)

In article <12731@adobe.UUCP>, asente@adobe.com (Paul Asente) writes:
|> Before realization, it makes no difference at all whether you manage children
|> one at a time, in bunches, or all at once.  There is no difference between
|> creating each child with XtCreateManaged widget and creating each child with
|> XtCreateWidget and then managing them later with XtManageChildren.

But... but... but...  Think of all the machine-level subroutine calls
you'll save!  :-)

                 Mike Yang        Silicon Graphics, Inc.
               mikey@sgi.com           415/335-1786