[comp.windows.x] Does UIL support multiple instances of Xt applications in a process

saiki@asevx3.sinet.slb.COM (03/19/91)

>Vania Joloboff <vania@osf.org> writes:
>>Yoshiyuki Saiki <saiki@ase.sib.com> writes:
>> Does UIL support multiple instances of X Toolkit applications on different
>> displays in a single address space ?  If so, how are the different colormaps
>> and fonts for each display treated ?
>
>Not really. The function MrmOpenHierarchy does not take a display
>hierarchy, which makes it practically impossible.

Why not ? Is this design issue, or implementation one ?  I think the actual
widget instatiation is done by FetchWidget which takes a parent widget.  Is
it impossible to resolve resources by this parent's display ?

>	unless you have the source code and hack around some
>	global variables that contain the display info :-)

Fortunately, I don't. (I'm not a hacker ;-)

Does this feature(not bug) of resource manager apply to following problem ?

"BadFont" error occurs even in case of single UIL/toplevel application when
widgets are instatiated second time after closing old display and  opening new
display.

Anyway, I believe these two issues are common among UIL user.  Are there any
alternatives or future plan to meet our requirements ?  Or should I convert my
UIL objects (~100) to C code ?

- Yoshiyuki Saiki          		Internet: saiki@ase.slb.com
Schlumberger K.K.
Fuchinobe Japan