[comp.windows.x] choice of toolkits

rms@mole.ai.mit.EDU (Richard Stallman) (03/11/91)

This message is addressed to those who are still considering the
question of which X toolkit to use.

If you choose a free toolkit, such as one distributed in the X
distribution, then your programs will be more useful.  For example,
anyone who uses X will be able to compile them.

If, on the other hand, you use a proprietary toolkit such as Motif,
then most people will not be able to compile or link your programs.
On systems where shared libraries are used, most sites may not have
the proprietary toolkit, and thus may be unable even to run your
programs.

Some of you may hope to use the GNU system when it is completed.  The
GNU system will come with all the free toolkits, but it won't come
with any proprietary ones.  This will mean a growing class of users
who will find an unnecessary disadvantage in your programs.

Finally, the more you choose to support and maintain (if only by
reporting bugs) the free software in the X distribution, the more you
will be helping the X project.

In article <9103110058.AA02712@mole.ai.mit.edu> rms@mole.ai.mit.EDU (Richard Stallman) writes:
>If you choose a free toolkit, such as one distributed in the X
>distribution, then your programs will be more useful.  For example,
>anyone who uses X will be able to compile them.
Assuming their vendor has provided the binaries, or the user has taken
the time to port the toolkit.  Note that the latter is not likely
outside of the immediate X hacker community.

>On systems where shared libraries are used, most sites may not have
>the proprietary toolkit, and thus may be unable even to run your
>programs.
Why are shared library sites more or less likely to have a proprietary
toolkit?

>Some of you may hope to use the GNU system when it is completed.  The
>GNU system will come with all the free toolkits, but it won't come
>with any proprietary ones.
There are over a dozen companies providing Motif for Suns.  What
makes you think they won't provide it for GNU either?  Or will
linking it with the GNU libraries put GNU restrictions on it?

How about some constructive input here.  Like an effort to write
a PD Motif toolkit (since that's the only commercial toolkit you
seem to think worth attacking :-).
--
Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere

everyone else's.

>In article <9103110058.AA02712@mole.ai.mit.edu> rms@mole.ai.mit.EDU (Richard Stallman) writes:
>>Some of you may hope to use the GNU system when it is completed.  The
>>GNU system will come with all the free toolkits, but it won't come
>>with any proprietary ones.

Incidentally.  I don't see the FSF telling people not to use the
proprietary Unix operating system before there's a functional non-
proprietary equivalent.  Why is the GUI toolkit space any different?
--

datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) (03/13/91)

>>On systems where shared libraries are used, most sites may not have
>>the proprietary toolkit, and thus may be unable even to run your
>>programs.
>Why are shared library sites more or less likely to have a proprietary
>toolkit?

Well, so far as I know, the OSF/Motif toolkit doesn't support shared/dynamic
libraries even on the platforms that have the capability -- ie., SunOS.

This shortcoming and the resultant immense size of executables comprise the
lion's share of my discontent with Motif.

In MDDT no one can hear you scream

dbrooks@osf.osf.org (David Brooks) (03/13/91)

datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) writes:

>Well, so far as I know, the OSF/Motif toolkit doesn't support shared/dynamic
>libraries even on the platforms that have the capability -- ie., SunOS.
							     ^^
You mean e.g., I hope.  Lots have people have successfully built Motif
shared libraries under SunOS and several other OSes.  Including us :-)

>This shortcoming and the resultant immense size of executables comprise the
>lion's share of my discontent with Motif.

Oh good; nothing of any importance left, then?
--
David Brooks				dbrooks@osf.org
Systems Engineering, OSF		uunet!osf.org!dbrooks

marbru@attc.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar13.003649.1108@convex.com> datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
>Well, so far as I know, the OSF/Motif toolkit doesn't support shared/dynamic
>libraries even on the platforms that have the capability -- ie., SunOS.

  Even if you were right for Motif 1.1, WHY should OSF support SunOS specific
  implementation of shareable libraries when:
  - Sun is NOT a memeber of OSF
  - Sun does everything imaginable to prevent Motif usage on it's hardware/sw

  As far as I know, OSF does not bother to "support" shareble libraries (inlib)
  for HP/Apollo Domain (their shareableas were superior to today's SunOS
  implementation years ago). Neither it supports shareable libraries for
  VMS. But in both cases the party interested (HP/Apollo, DEC) in porting
  Motif to their platform does what is necessary.
  So *might* Sun Microsystems, (if they elected to do so).
  So *do* many Motif providers for SunOS platform.

>This shortcoming and the resultant immense size of executables comprise the
>lion's share of my discontent with Motif.

  If you decided to be your "provider" of Motif for SunOS, supporting shared
  (or any other) libraries is upon to you. At least that's what I assume,
  being a Motif "provider" for our in-house use (for some of our platforms).

--
=*= Opinions presented here are solely of my own and not those of Auto-trol =*=
Martin Brunecky                           {...}sunpeaks!auto-trol!marbru

cflatter@zia.aoc.nrao.EDU (Chris Flatters) (03/14/91)

Kee Hinkley writes (in reply to Richard Stallman):

RMS> Some of you may hope to use the GNU system when it is completed.  The
RMS> GNU system will come with all the free toolkits, but it won't come
RMS> with any proprietary ones.

Kee> There are over a dozen companies providing Motif for Suns.  What
Kee> makes you think they won't provide it for GNU either?  Or will
Kee> linking it with the GNU libraries put GNU restrictions on it?

The point is that the GNU project intends to produce a free operating
system.  Vendors can port the Motif toolkit or OLIT to GNU, in which case
you can develop Motif or OLIT applications (depending on your preference)
under GNU.  However these applications will not run on any GNU installation
unless the Motif toolkit or OPEN LOOK toolkit is made available on terms
similar to the GNU general public license.  In summary you can write
software to run under GNU O/S using a proprietary, for-money, toolkit
but you can not write *GNU* software unless you use a free toolkit.

Kee> How about some constructive input here.  Like an effort to write
Kee> a PD Motif toolkit (since that's the only commercial toolkit you
Kee> seem to think worth attacking :-).

One possibility would be for OSF to donate the Motif toolkit and mwm to
the GNU project.  In fact this might be seen as a fair trade since OSF/1
contains GNU software.  In practice the vendors that supply Motif technology
to OSF will probably object to this.  Similarly USL could donate OLIT
to the GNU project but might have some problem persuading their shareholders
(who think that USL should make a profit) that this is a good thing.

Note that one implementation of OPEN LOOK (XView) is already free, although
its free nature is being undermined by the ludicrous prices charged by
third party vendors for ports (yes, Unipress, I mean you!).  On the other
XView is harder to port than Xt-based toolkits: in the case of Xt-based
toolkits most of the work has already been done if Xt is available.

Another interesting candidate on the horizon is InterViews 3, which is
supposed to have a Motif-like look-&-feel (or so I am told).  This might
well become the winning GNUish X toolkit if it is patched to compile with
GNU C++ or when the GNU C++ library develops enough AT&T C++ compatibility
to compile InterViews.

As far as I am concerned (as a programmer), irrespective of technical merits
(and I think OPEN LOOK is far, far easier to learn and use than Motif) the
winner in the Motif vs OPEN LOOK GUI war will be the first one to have
an implementation that is freely available, in the sense that if it isn't
already on the machine on my desk I can put there in less than a day
without forking over money I can't afford.

[ In case anybody is wondering, I don't think that the Athena widget set
is suitable for writing applications that will be used by anyone apart
from X-windows hackers on the grounds of not having any real conventions
that encourage consistent behaviour (ie. a style guide) and having little
aesthetic appeal.]

		Chris Flatters

PS. standard disclaimers apply to the above opinions (especially where
they are controversial).

mouse@lightning.mcrcim.mcgill.EDU (der Mouse) (03/14/91)

RMS> Some of you may hope to use the GNU system when it is completed.  The
RMS> GNU system will come with all the free toolkits, but it won't come
RMS> with any proprietary ones.

Kee> There are over a dozen companies providing Motif for Suns.  What
Kee> makes you think they won't provide it for GNU either?  Or will
Kee> linking it with the GNU libraries put GNU restrictions on it?

CF> The point is that the GNU project intends to produce a free
CF> operating system.
(I could get snarky here about how "free" GPV-infected code is, but
let's let that pass for now.)
CF> Vendors can port the Motif toolkit or OLIT to GNU, in which case
CF> you can develop Motif or OLIT applications (depending on your
CF> preference) under GNU.  However these applications will not run on
CF> any GNU installation unless the Motif toolkit or OPEN LOOK toolkit
CF> is made available on terms similar to the GNU general public
CF> license.

Say what?  They'll run on any system with the Motif / OL toolkit
installed.  What does this have to do with the terms under which said
toolkit is distributed?

> In summary you can write software to run under GNU O/S using a
> proprietary, for-money, toolkit but you can not write *GNU* software
> unless you use a free toolkit.

Oh.  This applies only those trying to write code *for Project GNU*?
Then of course you are correct, but your statement applies to only a
very tiny fraction of the people it appeared to be addressed to.

> One possibility would be for OSF to donate the Motif toolkit and mwm
> to the GNU project.

I think this would be a bad move on their part.  Once they do this, it
will be more or less permanently infected with the GPV.  The OSF will
then be unable to even ship it with their systems, never mind sell it.
Donating it to the X Consortium strikes me as a much better move, if
they really want to make it generally available.

> [One OL implementation is already free], although its free nature is
> being undermined by the ludicrous prices charged by third party
> vendors for ports (yes, Unipress, I mean you!).

How does this "undermine" its "free nature"?  You want it, you can ftp
it; you don't want to put in the work to port it, you can pay Unipress
for an already-ported version.  Or you can try to find someone on the
net who's done it and is willing to share.  Or you can bite the bullet,
do it yourself, and, if you really believe in its "free nature", make
the result available to the *next* poor sod who's faced with the same
problem.

> [ [IMO] Athena widget set [is not] suitable for writing applications
>   that will be used by ["user" types] [...] [lack of] any real
>   conventions that encourage consistent behaviour (ie. a style guide)
>   and having little aesthetic appeal. ]

I'm not going to touch the bit about aesthetic appeal; one user's
aesthetic appeal is another's intolerable ugliness.

As for style guides and consistent behavior, I feel intelligent
behavior is often more important than consistent behavior.  I'm sure it
would be no trouble at all to build an application that meticulously
conforms to the Motif, or Open Look, style guide, but is nonetheless a
horror to try to use because the design is bad.  Consistent, but bad.
Much like the truism that "there is not, has never been, and never will
be a useful programming language in which it is the least bit difficult
to write bad programs".

"For a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" (or
something very much like that)  - Pope, I think it was.  This hue and
cry about "we must have consistency over all else" seems like an
excellent example.  IMO, of course, as are all opinions in the above.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

cflatter@zia.aoc.nrao.EDU (Chris Flatters) (03/15/91)

der Mouse writes (on donating Motif to GNU):
> I think this would be a bad move on their part.  Once they do this, it
> will be more or less permanently infected with the GPV.  The OSF will
> then be unable to even ship it with their systems, never mind sell it.
> Donating it to the X Consortium strikes me as a much better move, if
> they really want to make it generally available.

Donating to the X consortium is a good alternative.  BTW: the part of the
GPL that most vendors find objectionable (the bit that involves software
written using GNU libraries) has been removed from version 2.

		Chris Flatters

meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) (03/15/91)

In article <9103131659.AA19248@zia.aoc.nrao.edu>
cflatter@zia.aoc.nrao.EDU (Chris Flatters) writes:

| One possibility would be for OSF to donate the Motif toolkit and mwm to
| the GNU project.  In fact this might be seen as a fair trade since OSF/1
| contains GNU software.  In practice the vendors that supply Motif technology
| to OSF will probably object to this.  Similarly USL could donate OLIT
| to the GNU project but might have some problem persuading their shareholders
| (who think that USL should make a profit) that this is a good thing.

Sigh.....

It's splitting hares, but OSF/1 proper does not contain GNU software.
The compiler suite that we use and support is shipped on a separate
tape.  It is up to the various companies buying source, to decide
whether to use the GNU compilers, or come up with their own compiler
suite.

Some of the changes we've made are fed back to the FSF (about half of
the compiler changes I made for instance).  What gets fed back and
incorporated depends on our time available, and the FSF's current
interests/schedules.  We've also done the work to allow our object
file format to be used by the FSF if they want (or anybody else, since
it has an X11 style copyright).

Getting back to X11, in terms of Motif licensing issues, I have no
opinion.....
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner@osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Considering the flames and intolerance, shouldn't USENET be spelled ABUSENET?

db@sunbim.be (Danny Backx) (03/15/91)

Anthony A. Datri (datri@convex.com) wrote :

> Well, so far as I know, the OSF/Motif toolkit doesn't support shared/dynamic
> libraries even on the platforms that have the capability -- ie., SunOS.

NOT TRUE !

Shared library support is not in the OSF sources for Motif. However, several
people have successfully built shared library versions of Motif, and are
selling them. [I am one of them.]

We have OSF/Motif shared libraries for Suns.
For more information about our offering, please contact Jean-Pierre Mesozy
(jpm@sunbim.be).

> This shortcoming and the resultant immense size of executables comprise the
> lion's share of my discontent with Motif.

It is true that most, if not all, software vendors currently aren't shipping
their applications with shared library support yet...

	Danny Backx
	System Engineer, BIM Networks

E-Mail: db@sunbim.be    (or uunet!mcsun!ub4b!sunbim!db)

Telephone: +32(2)759.59.25	Fax : +32(2)759.47.95

Postal Mail :
	Danny Backx
	BIM
	Kwikstraat 4
	3078 Everberg
	Belgium

pd@x.co.uk (Paul Davey) (03/19/91)

We at IXI also sell a Motif development kit for Suns with shared libraries.

As a software supplier we ship static binaries for X.desktop since,

	1) The shared libraries will often not be installed on end user machines

	2) We don't want to pay a royalty to OSF by shipping shared libraries
	   with our product

We have however (I believe) supplied dynamic versions of X.desktop when
customers have asked for this specially.

I understand that OSF is addressing the problem of licencing dynamic libraries
which are not supplied by the manufacturer (ie Sun).

I usually recomend that folk develop with dynamic libraries and normally sell
a static version.

Obviously on machines where the dynamic libraries are provided by the
manufacturer life is much simpler.

--
 Regards,			 pd@x.co.uk          IXI Limited
	Paul Davey		 pd@ixi.uucp         62-74 Burleigh St.