[comp.windows.x] Motif

kaush@moncam.co.uk (Kaush Kotak) (10/13/89)

	I would welcome any information on OSF/MOTIF.

	I am particularly interested in obtaining contacts in the U.K. with
	users and/or 'official' dealers for the OSF.

	Any help appreciated.

	Kaush.

	kaush@moncam.co.uk

jay@GEO785.GCN.UOKNOR.EDU (12/15/89)

This is a reply to Jon about the MOTIF vs. DECWindows problem.

After talking to several DECies about super-portability for X-applications
(which was the initial target for X), I was informed that to be upwardly
compatible, it would be a good idea to get MOTIF from OSF.   I am sure
(which means I am probably using common sense) that the MOTIF toolkit
is different than the DECWindows toolkit.  In other words you/I/we folks that
want to have portable X code are going to have to lock in on a toolkit and
eat it if something better comes along.  I hope that DEC figures out how many
people that they are going to SLIME if they don't stay real close to OSF's
MOTIF.  The thing that makes me want to flame is that DEC used PART of the
Xt toolkit to make DECWindows (on VMS and ULTRIX), took some (as in not all) of
the include files from the consortium hacked on them a little bit (took out
usefull things like Label.h...), and turned their version out before they
should have. (I bet I have pissed some folks off by now.)  I am about to
undertake a rather large 100k+ line project and have to depend on things like
portability (it has to run on a CRAY/SUN/VAX/STELLAR/ALLIANT).  (I am in
trouble right.)  Anyway ***Flame off***  and watch out jon.

Anyway if you want to talk to me call me.  If you want to flame at me
(personally) over mail CAST OFF.

					Later,
					Jay A. Davis
					Work:  (405) - 325 - 5540

Guess what:  These are MY views not the University of Oklahomas views.
They don't even know I sent the letter, so there!

klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (01/03/90)

In article <9001021832.AA13197@expo.lcs.mit.edu>,
jay@GEO785.GCN.UOKNOR.EDU writes:
> I hope that DEC figures out how many
> people that they are going to SLIME if they don't stay real close to OSF's
> MOTIF.

Digital has announced that they will soon be converting all its
software to Motif.  The programming interfaces to Motif and DECwindows
XUI are intentionally very similar, so porting should be
straightforward.  A guide to porting from XUI to Motif is included in the
Motif documentation.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

beitel@excalibur.tn.cornell.EDU (Beitel) (06/04/90)

I am building Motif 1.0.A on a AIX/370 Architecture machine and want to execute
some of the demos to see if everything went ok. Is it necessary to do an
install
before trying to execute the demos?

David Beitel
dabx@cornellf.tn.cornell.edu

dfa@WHITE.SWW.SYMBOLICS.COM (David F. Aronson) (11/21/90)

Does anybody know of a good source of some example X
programs using the Motif widget set?  I am also looking
for any articles/books reviewing or comparing the Motif
widget set.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Aronson		dfa@stony-brook.scrc.symbolics.com

mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer) (11/22/90)

In article <19901121005712.3.DFA@PLUM.SWW.Symbolics.COM> dfa@WHITE.SWW.SYMBOLICS.COM (David F. Aronson) writes:
>Does anybody know of a good source of some example X
>programs using the Motif widget set?  I am also looking
>for any articles/books reviewing or comparing the Motif
>widget set.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I suggest you purchase Doug Young's book "the X window system Programming
and applications with Xt, OSF/Motif edition", and grab the examples from
Doug's book, which are available via anon. ftp from expo.lcs.mit.edu in
directory contrib. I think the file is somehting like
young.examples.tar.Z..

You might also want to take a look at the example programs I distribute
with my WINTERP interactive development and extension environment for Motif
applications. The examples are written in WINTERP-Lisp, which is kind of
like emacs-lisp except that UI primitives are implemented via Motif widgets
rather than text-buffer operations. The lisp interpreter itself is based on
David Betz's XLISP, which provides a simple OOP extension allowing you to
easily subclass widgets, specialize them into application-objects, and even
work-around lacunae in the widgets themselves.

And since you work at Symbolics, you're probably not Lisp-phobic and like
the elegance of using real programming languages, rather than kludging
things up with C, X resources, and the various "user interface languages"
being promoted.

To give you an example of what's there, here are the names of the example
programs in the winterp distribution:
 bitmap-br.lsp bitmap-br2.lsp calculator.lsp
 callbacks.lsp colorsetr.lsp dialogshel.lsp form-widg1.lsp form-widg2.lsp
 form-widg3.lsp getvalues.lsp graphcalc-options.lsp graphcalc-sliderdisp.lsp
 graphcalc.lsp grep-br.lsp helloworld.lsp identifier.lsp initialize.lsp
 interact.lsp list-test.lsp mail-br.lsp menu-ex.lsp mng-test.lsp pixmaps.lsp
 popen.lsp popup-menu.lsp radiobox1.lsp radiobox2.lsp rc-shell.lsp
 scale-widg.lsp scooter.lsp setvalues.lsp text.lsp trans.lsp w_ctrlpnl.lsp

You may obtain the current source, documentation, and examples via
anonymous ftp from host expo.lcs.mit.edu: in directory contrib/winterp you
will find the compress(1)'d tar(1) file winterp-1.01.tar.Z. Slides, papers
and further documentation can be found in directory contrib/winterp/papers.
(In particular, you may be interested in a paper which will appear in an
upcoming ACM SIGPLAN on Lisp, aka "Lisp Pointers")

	    Niels Mayer -- hplabs!mayer -- mayer@hplabs.hp.com
		  Human-Computer Interaction Department
		       Hewlett-Packard Laboratories
			      Palo Alto, CA.
				   *

etaylor@wilkins.iaims.bcm.tmc.edu (Eric Taylor) (12/10/90)

|>> Is MIT going to come out with a 3D-looking widget set
|>> that people can safely code in?  I wish sincerely wish it.

|>Is 3D effect really the reason that you would use such a toolkit?

Well, I'll tell ya.  Everytime I come out with some X-based
product using the Athena Widget Set, everyone says, "Oh yeah,
great, but How come it does not look as nice as some of those
other X applications I see?"  I get really tired of these
comments.

In answer to your question .....    YES!!!!
--
					Eric Taylor
					Baylor College of Medicine

qureshi@redwood.shell.com (Fawad Qureshi) (01/03/91)

Need documentation for Motif Window Manager (mwm) running under DECwindows.
We are using mwm with DECwindows and trying to customize resources for
certain application programs, all doc. that I can find for MOTIF is for
when its used with X-windows. Any help will be appreciated.

--

Fawad Qureshi
Shell Oil Company

rwt@ohm.york.ac.uk (Richard Taylor) (02/13/91)

Is there anywhere where we can ftp the Motif libraries from ?

Richard
* Dr R W Taylor              tel : (44) 904 432351  fax : 432335 *
* Adaptive Systems Group     email : rwt@uk.ac.york.ohm          *
* University of York, England                                    *

arny@cbnewsl.att.com (arny.b.engelson) (03/21/91)

I will soon be developing an X-window based gui for a VAX/VMS (DEC-windows)
based set of tools.  All the software must be in Ada.  There is a strong
push to use Motif, but I am hoping to delay the final decision until I
determine what support software (i.e. toolkits) are available for assisting
in this development.  So, if you know of any software/toolkits that may be
of help, please let me know.  If I get enough of a response, I'll post a
summary in case others are interested.  BTW, I am aware of TAE+ (which
generates Ada code), but their Motif version is not out yet (they currently
support some kind of HP widget set).

  -- Arny Engelson   att!wayback!arny   (arny@wayback.att.com)