[comp.windows.x] twm

rusty@BOSCO.BERKELEY.EDU (05/05/88)

When twm is running xprop returns nothing for all windows.  When uwm
is running it returns lots of stuff.  In the README file for release
2.7 of twm it says that it doesn't handle the PropertyNotify events;
is this what is causing xprop to not work when twm is running?

vojta@steero.berkeley.edu (paul vojta) (06/10/88)

In article <2505@mandrill.CWRU.Edu> chet@mandrill.ces.cwru.edu (Chet Ramey)
  writes:

>The problem that I have with iconifying is that I give my xterm windows
>other names (with -n or -name), and twm doesn't seem to know to use the
>"xterm.icon".  Can anyone help with that?

Yes, I use the line:
	Icons           { "XTerm" "xterm.icon" }
Note the capitalization, and the use of quotes on the first argument (contrary
to the example in the README file; Tom, are you listening?)

lydia@daisy.UUCP (Lydia Yomtovian) (06/10/88)

>The problem that I have with iconifying is that I give my xterm windows
>other names (with -n or -name), and twm doesn't seem to know to use the
>"xterm.icon".  Can anyone help with that?

With the new upgrade of twm the following is true:
#
#  NOTE that the nice xterm icon is no longer provided by default,
#       you can now specify your own bitmap file to use.
#       If you copy the file "xterm.icon" into /usr/include/X11/bitmaps/
#       and add the following lines to your .twmrc file, you will get the
#       xterm icon bitmap.
#
ForceIcons
Icons
{
    "xterm"     "xterm.icon"
}

nsche@ATR-18.HAC.COM (Norm Scherer) (10/13/88)

Miles O'Neal recommends using twm instead of uwm.  That sounds interesting
BUT...my copy of x11r2 doesn't include twm anyplace.  Am I short something
that I should have found or is twm something that came out after r2 or
from another source.  pointers anyone?

	Norm Scherer
 	Software Engineering Division
 	Hughes Aircraft Co., Ground Systems Group,
 	Fullerton Ca.
 	(nsche%atr-2s@hac2arpa.hac.com or nsche@atr-2s.hac.com)

Opinions are my own, not those of HAC or anyone else I have ever met

obrooks@NSWC-WO.ARPA (12/14/88)

After compiling twm on R#3a SUN 3/160 under OS Sun OS 3.5 I ahd a problem
executing twm. It works fine with the pointer but it locks up the
keyboard. making it Making i t virtually usuelewothorthless. Can anyone help ? We really
like d twm under R2.

obrooks@nswc-wo

jonnyg@ROVER.UMD.EDU (Jon Greenblatt) (12/15/88)

>After compiling twm on a SUN 3/160 under Sun OS 3.5 I ahd a problem
>executing twm. It works fine with the pointer but it locks up the
>keyboard. Making it virtually worthless. Can anyone help ? We really
>liked twm under R2.
>
>obrooks@nswc-wo

	I have the same poblem on the IBM RT. I thought it was just
compiler related, what did we do wrong?

						JonnyG.
						(jonnyg@rover.umd.edu)
						(jonnyg@umd5.umd.edu)

marselle@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Hakim) (03/10/89)

I'm using twm (Tom's Window Manager) under X11.3.  Does anyone know why mouse
1, when pressed in the contect of the title, raises the window, and mouse button
3 lowers it?  My ~/.twmrc file doesn't specify that this should happen.  Is
this a default?  If so, where is it documented?

Jim Marselle
AT&T Bell Labs
Naperville, IL 60566
(312) 416-4108
att!ihlpf!marselle

jonnyg@ROVER.UMD.EDU (Jon Greenblatt) (03/29/89)

	Where do I find the latest version of twm. The version I have is
from the X11R3 distribution and is V 1.2. I think I read it is up to V 5.1
at one time. I recieved a fix for twm on color RT monitors, please mail me
if this is of interest to you.

						JonnyG.

spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (03/29/89)

In article <8903282034.AA05412@rover.UMD.EDU> jonnyg@ROVER.UMD.EDU (Jon Greenblatt) writes:

>	Where do I find the latest version of twm. The version I have is
>from the X11R3 distribution and is V 1.2. I think I read it is up to V 5.1
>at one time. I recieved a fix for twm on color RT monitors, please mail me
>if this is of interest to you.

That _is_ the latest version, for some unspecified reason the consortium
set the version number to 1.2.

+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs.bitnet     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | internet: spolsky@cs.yale.edu     voicenet: 203-436-1483 |
+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
                                                      #include <disclaimer.h>

jonnyg@ROVER.UMD.EDU (Jon Greenblatt) (03/29/89)

	Here is a fix for TWM on the IBM RT color displays. Thank you
Richard Draves for supplying this.

*** events.c.~1~        Sun Nov 27 14:15:39 1988
--- events.c    Tue Feb 21 18:14:11 1989
***************
*** 202,214 ****
  void
  HandleColormapNotify()
  {
  #ifdef DEBUG
      fprintf(stderr, "ColormapNotify\n");
  #endif
-     if (tmp_win != NULL)
-       XGetWindowAttributes(dpy, tmp_win->w, &tmp_win->attr);

!     if (tmp_win == Focus)
        XInstallColormap(dpy, tmp_win->attr.colormap);
  }

--- 202,217 ----
  void
  HandleColormapNotify()
  {
+     XColormapEvent *cevent = (XColormapEvent *) &event;
+
  #ifdef DEBUG
      fprintf(stderr, "ColormapNotify\n");
  #endif

!     if ((cevent->new == True) && (tmp_win != NULL))
!       tmp_win->attr.colormap = cevent->colormap;
!
!     if ((cevent->state == ColormapUninstalled) && (tmp_win == Focus))

jim@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Jim Fulton) (03/29/89)

> That _is_ the latest version, for some unspecified reason the consortium
> set the version number to 1.2.

Because the version number was erroneously stored using generic RCS strings.
This is why R3 uses a special keyword $XConsortium$ instead of $Header$....

In article <1265@imelda.Solbourne.COM> toml@Solbourne.COM (Tom LaStrange) writes:
>If I understand you right, twm allows you to do such a thing.  You
>could put something like
>
>  "F1" = : window : f.raise
>
>in your .twmrc file, and when the F1 key is pressed while the pointer
>is in the client window, the window will be raised.  It's not dumb,
>it's VERY useful,  I couldn't get by without it.

But it's not as useful as it could be.  The documentation implies that
the context field is the location of the pointer, but it actually uses
the current input focus.  If you use anything other than
follow-pointer focus, these are very different.  For instance, if you
set the focus to a window you can't make use of a key bound to f.focus
in order to change the focus.

While on the subject, I'd like to warn people: don't bind f.twmrc to a
key in TWM!  Executing this key generally caused TWM to die with a
segmentation violation.  It uses a linked list to hold the key
bindings, and (for some reason) continues scanning down the list after
executing the binding.  However, after executing f.twmrc the list it
was scanning has been freed, and the memory may have been reused for
other things, so it dereferences garbage pointers.  The menu code is
organized differently and doesn't have this problem.

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

joe@csesbg.UUCP (03/21/91)

If it is possible, can someone send me the source code of 'twm' by email ?
I have no Internet access.