[net.news] Discovery! Save Money!

see1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Ellen Seebacher) (11/29/85)

[]
Net.jokes has the "Obligatory Joke" rule:  every posting has
to have [okay, ought to have] a joke in it.  The "imminent-
collapse-of-the-net" debate has prompted a new protocol,
that net.philosophy and net.religion have a new rule:  the
"Obligatory Thought."

Please send flames directly.  Chicago gets cold.
--
 Ellen Keyne Seebacher                     Univ. of Chicago Comp. Center
  Dilige et quod vis fac.                  ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!see1

mathnews@watdcsu.UUCP (mathNEWS) (11/29/85)

In article <1399@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> see1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Ellen Seebacher) writes:
>Net.jokes has the "Obligatory Joke" rule:  every posting has
>to have [okay, ought to have] a joke in it.  The "imminent-
>collapse-of-the-net" debate has prompted a new protocol,
>that net.philosophy and net.religion have a new rule:  the
>"Obligatory Thought."

Hmm... I don't think there'll be too many postings to those two groups
now :-)

And now the obligatory joke (and thought--two for the price of one!):

If "fortification" means a very large fort, why doesn't "ratification"
mean a very large rat?

						dwarf

--
"Degeneracy is not necessarily a bad thing."

mathNEWS--the math student newspaper at the University of Waterloo
{allegra|clyde|linus|ihnp4|decvax}!watmath!watdcsu!mathnews          UUCP
mathnews%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet                                      CSNET
mathnews@watdcsu                                                     NETNORTH

dpb@philabs.UUCP (Paul Benjamin) (12/03/85)

> If "fortification" means a very large fort, why doesn't "ratification"
> mean a very large rat?

And "ramification" should mean a very large ram,

and "personification" should mean a very large person,

and "classification" should mean a very large class,

and "certification" should mean a very large Cert's breath mint,

and "solidification" should mean a very large solid,

and "codification" should mean a very large cod,

ray@othervax.UUCP (Raymond D. Dunn) (12/04/85)

In article <527@philabs.UUCP> dpb@philabs.UUCP (Paul Benjamin) writes:
>> If "fortification" means a very large fort, why doesn't "ratification"
>> mean a very large rat?
>
>And etc. etc. etc.

But it DOESN'T mean a very large fort, so PLEASE, let that be the end of it,
or at least transfer the "discussion" to net.rubbish where it belongs.

Ray Dunn.  ...philabs!micomvax!othervax!ray

> > If "fortification" means a very large fort, why doesn't "ratification"
> > mean a very large rat?
> And "ramification" should mean a very large ram,
> and "personification" should mean a very large person,
> and "classification" should mean a very large class,
> and "certification" should mean a very large Cert's breath mint,
> and "solidification" should mean a very large solid,
> and "codification" should mean a very large cod,

calcification		should apply to calculations involving large numbers
decertification		should apply to a severe case of bad breath
dignification		should apply to large excavations
edification		should apply to editing large files
electrification		should apply to voltages found in lightning
falsification		should apply to brassieres for large women
intensification		should apply to increases by powers of ten
justification		should apply solely to the US Supreme Court
magnification		should apply only to superconducting magnets
modification		should apply to the new number of mod.* newsgroups
mortification		should apply to disasters having a large loss of life
nullification		should apply to the total storage capacity of /dev/null
ossifification		should apply only to dinosaur bones
pacification		should apply to oceans approaching the Pacific in size
petrification		should apply to kennels and catteries
pontification		should apply to Popes weighing > 100 kg
rectification		should apply to severe cases of diarrhea
saponification		should apply to Extra Large Economy Size soap packages
signification		should apply to excessive graphics in .signatures
syllabification		should apply to excessive sylly shit like this posting
testification		should apply to people with big balls
unification		should apply to the increasing number of UNIX systems

===  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        ===
===  UUCP    {decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  ===
===  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice,shell}!baylor!/             ===
===  FAX     716/741-9635 {AT&T 3510D}               ihnp4!/               ===
===                                                                        ===
===                   "Have you hugged your cat today?"                    ===

brianc@tekla.UUCP (Brian Conley) (12/10/85)

> > > If "fortification" means a very large fort, why doesn't "ratification"
> > > mean a very large rat?
> > And "ramification" should mean a very large ram,
*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH Bagels and LOX *
Considering this trend and the other continueing list of "comments which
got people kicked of the RADIO/TV" I offer the following question:
(my friend and I used to ask ourselves this one)

If "overkill" implies 'too much kill',

what does "overcome" imply?

(and you wonder why English is a confusing language?)