[net.news] Posting to a mod group FOR the moderator

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (12/05/85)

Is there any way for me to do this, or, if not, what should I tell the
moderator that HE can do?

I have had some correspondence with Herb Lin (Lin@MIT-MC.ARPA), the
acting moderator of the Arms-D digest, which is on USENET as group
"mod.politics.arms-d". There were four recent digests which failed to
make it to the USENET distribution (at least here at BRL, which, being
one hop off the major backbone machine "seismo", probably means they
didn't get anywhere on USENET.) [These happened to be Digests 22, 23, 27,
and 28, if it matters.]

He has mailed me copies of these, so I have them myself at my home host
over on the MILNET. However, he also said: "Don't have access to the
USENET gateway. Can you forward them?" I have written him back,
discussing this, and told him that I would post this query on net.news:

How can I (an ordinary mortal, not a moderator nor a wizard) do this for
him -- that is, send these four missing digests so that they show up on
!"mod.politics.arms-d", without him sending them out as duplicate
mailings to the whole list, which had already received them when they
went out the first time? Looking at the header of a recent posting in
mod.politics.arms-d, I see a path of brl-tgr!seismo!cbosgd!ucbvax!arms-d --
does this mean that I can mail these Digests to "arms-d@ucbvax" and they
will get fed into the moderated group? That seems unlikely -- if so,
anyone could do a similar action and illegitimately post to any
ARPA-feed "mod" group. There must be another, less obvious, method.

What it seems to indicate is that there is a need for a particular
individual, one with access to both USENET and ARPA, to be a for-real
USENET moderator for the ARPA-feed groups, someone who can monitor the
groups and catch gaps in numbered postings like Digests, and who can be
a point of contact for the ARPA moderator to send replacements for
resubmission to USENET, and to be publicized as the reporting point for
USENET distribution failures (the well-known breakdown of mod-group
dissemination).

However, aside from this nice-to-have improvement, what can I do NOW to
help this moderator? If there is some "secret" address that he should
know to directly send replacements to, please some wizard out there tell
him, and tell me that you did (you needn't tell me the secret, of course)
so I know that it is taken care of. If there is something that I can do
without bothering Mr. Lin further, tell me.

Thanks!
Will Martin

UUCP/USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin   or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (12/10/85)

In article <344@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
>Is there any way for me to do this, or, if not, what should I tell the
>moderator that HE can do?

In my case (as mod.protocols.appletalk moderator), there is an address that
I can send to at berkeley that will distribute to mod.protocols.appletalk.

>does this mean that I can mail these Digests to "arms-d@ucbvax" and they
>will get fed into the moderated group? That seems unlikely -- if so,
>anyone could do a similar action and illegitimately post to any
>ARPA-feed "mod" group. There must be another, less obvious, method.

In theory all you would need to do is send to this address, but Eric may have
hacked the forwarding to accept mail from the moderator only.  In any case,
if someone does do this, their identity will presumably be disclosed in the
message and punitive action can be taken.  (This is sort of like the case of
the Chicago radio pirate who takes over commercial stations by taking control
of their studio-transmitter link (see net.ham-radio for details))