[net.news] Gatewaying mod.* from ARPA lists

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (12/10/85)

This is something I've been thinking about for a while.

If we could get the maintainers of the ARPA digests to add their own
Article-ID when they create the digest, then we could have multiple
gateways to Usenet and improve propagation and reliability.

That is to say, may UUCP and ARPA/UUCP sites are already on these mailing
lists -- the articles come in, usually to a local redistribution list.

If, at that time, a few sites (rather than 1) could inject the article
into the net, we wouldn't have all the problems about lost mod.*
articles (we'd have new ones.... :-)

The only impediment to this, it seems to me, is that we want the
Article-ID established at the origin site (as with "genuine" usenet
mod. groups) so that the duplicates are detected and not-redistributed.

I'll volunteer to add mod.computers.{mac,ibmpc} here.
--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037

jsq@im4u.UUCP (John Quarterman) (12/11/85)

In article <201@gould9.UUCP> joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) writes:
>If we could get the maintainers of the ARPA digests to add their own
>Article-ID when they create the digest, then we could have multiple
>gateways to Usenet and improve propagation and reliability.

(Presumably you mean Message-ID, since Article-ID has been obsolete
for years except for compatibility with old news versions.)

This is what I've been doing recently with mod.computers.sequent.
It's only entering USENET at one point, but I'm using the Message-ID
from the original mail message as the Message-ID in the news article.
The main difference for multiple postings would be that you'd have
to reject anything which arrived without a Message-ID (while inserting
at only one point, I can let im4u add a Message-ID if there wasn't one).

There's various other cruftiness in the headers which you want to munge
when converting from mail to news or the reverse, but I have awk scripts
to do both.  I've been using for a month or so here, both recently for
mod.computers.sequent and longer to link a TOPS-20 bboard in with a local
USENET newsgroup.  If there's interest I could post them.

>That is to say, may UUCP and ARPA/UUCP sites are already on these mailing
>lists -- the articles come in, usually to a local redistribution list.
>
>If, at that time, a few sites (rather than 1) could inject the article
>into the net, we wouldn't have all the problems about lost mod.*
>articles (we'd have new ones.... :-)

I think Stan Barber proposed this a month or so ago, also.
And Erik Fair was supposedly doing something about it at Berkeley.
--
John Quarterman, UUCP:  {gatech,harvard,ihnp4,pyramid,seismo}!ut-sally!im4u!jsq
ARPA Internet and CSNET:  jsq@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU, jsq@sally.UTEXAS.EDU

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (12/11/85)

> This is something I've been thinking about for a while.
>
> If we could get the maintainers of the ARPA digests to add their own
> Article-ID when they create the digest, then we could have multiple
> gateways to Usenet and improve propagation and reliability.

The code is in place to do this actually.  Those of us who provide
the service of allowing ARPANET users to make their digests available
to USENET have been discussing this for some time.

Currently, I am not convinced that this would help the current state
of the backbone.  It would require other changes to be made in USENET
file transport.  It would however cut the cross country time down from
the current two days.

-Ron